Thread: New engine issues

I just had a new factory re-manned engine put in my ITS RX7. I did a track day to break in the engine. i started my first session not going over 4000 rpm and gradually through the day brought it up to about 7. after the first session i changed the oil. My last session of the day i wasnt pushing the car i was shifting at 6-7000. I pulled it off the track into the paddock and came to a stop. at idle the engine stalled out. I started it back up and again the engine stalled at idle when i let off the gas. the next day after the tow home i started the car and it seemed fine.
    could this just be because the engine is "stiff" and not fully broken in?
    why would it happen right after a session?

thanks a lot
    Matt Rooke

Matt, my answering a question with a question is the correct thing to do but I'll do it anyway. At what rpm is your engine idle ? If it's a tad slow they will kill. IIRC the first gen which I have the idle is 750 to 800 rpm.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

well its hard to say sometimes my idle stays steady at what lookes to be about 800, and other times, especially after a session, the idle will fluctuate up and down. it was during one of these fluctuations that the engine stalled

Did you check for a vacuum leak?
    Mark Lapos
    ITS RX7 #23
    www.rpperformanceracing.com

Sounds like it needs a TPS adjustment. After they get hot a TPS out of adjustment will allow the idle to surge. If the idle is too low this can cause it to stall. I solve this by 1) properly adjusting the TPS, and 2) bumping the idle up to 1500 or so rpm.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com