Originally posted by Geo@Nov 10 2005, 03:39 PM
A truly all-out engine should put down well over 125 to the wheels. Milledge engines put out 185 at the crank. I cannot believe there are 30% driveline losses. I think the problem is a) nobody but Jon is doing serious development of these engines, and most people are not willing to go the distance to really get that level of development. I know in the 944 community there is a belief that there is little to nothing that can be done for these engines, but when Jon can get 185 for an IT legal engine I know most people just aren't putting in the effort. That said, I won't have a Milledge engine. I don't know everything that Jon does, but I do know the key ingredient that makes the difference between a good and a great engine. I won't tell because I bought Jon's $100 ITS primer and I believe that information is proprietary (it's not mine to give). Since you have Milledge engines, it might be worty a conversation with Jon about this.

The 2.7 does not make a good ITS engine. The weight premium that is paid for the displacement is way too much. A fully built 2.7 ITS engine only makes a few more hp than the 2.5. I also know what causes that difference, but again, I consider that info proprietary.

I'm sorry about Dave. Everything I've read about him as a person has been pretty stellar. I also heard he set a class lap record on his last race lap.
[snapback]65110[/snapback]
Everything Jon has told me has been right on the money. No pum intended. A stock off the street engine will make about 125 at the wheels. Just a little intake and exhaust fixes a lot of that. The #2 bearing can be worked out if you take care of the right foot problem. Just like most engines. I have had friends race these cars for as long as 4 years with only oil changes , plugs, pads and tires.

It would bring a lot of them back if it ran in ITA or got some sort of weight break. Otherwise its going to take a lot of money to build a Milledge or Sunbelt power plant. There goes the cheap racing part. The 2.5 944 can run in SCCA,NASA,SVRA,HSR. you can race your brains out if you have time and money and there are a ton of them around cheap. I live 17 min from VIR and have cut my grass in the morning and raced that afternoon. I love to tell that one.

Lawrence