Thread: IS300 in ITS?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Originally posted by Matt Rowe@Sep 21 2005, 09:57 PM
    Looking at putting in a cutoff date for car eligibility I looked at the recent results from the MARRS labor day event. Based on the results adding a cutoff date would result in the following percent reduction in the field.

Cutoff 30 25 20 15
    ITS 12% 18% 18% 53%
    ITA 7% 20% 47% 87%
    ITB 53% 65% 76% 100%
    ITC 8% 69% 85% 100%

So you can see that even a 25 year cutoff immediately decimates the ITB and ITC fields. ITA would be cut in roughly half in five years. Overall it looks like a cutoff date would significantly including several top ten cars in each ITB and ITC with only a 25 year cutoff.

I don't think an arbitrary year cutoff makes any more sense than using stock horsepower and curb weights to class cars. This is only one data point but I hope the ITAC, CRB does a lot of research before they put o lot of cars out to pasture.
    [snapback]60880[/snapback]
    You forgot one cut off, what if it was set at 40 years, then kept at 40? In 3 years the '68s are no longer allowed to race. How many people are racing anything made in '68 anyway? It gives anyone who's racing a really old car a chance to know the deadline is comming up without immeaditely being canned, any 71's have 5 years left and ect. This also keeps people looking for the newer car, and allows for performance creep. It'll also allow for things like SMG and drive by wire throttles. Maybe Vintage should pick up used IT cars as a source for car classes? After all how many pro cars are being built from street chassies? Isn't campagaining an IT car give it a peddigree? I'd say if it survives it does.

James

STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Actually quite a few cars from the 68-75 time frame are still racing in IT, some very competitively:

240z, 260z
    Volvo 142
    Opel GT and Manta
    Pinto
    BMW 2002

We start losing RX7s THIS YEAR if we adopt a 25 year rule (and my Triumph, I might add). 944s in 2008.

Not sure running cars off by rule is good policy. Running them off because no parts exist, different story and I think totally appropriate.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Originally posted by JeffYoung@Sep 26 2005, 12:57 PM

Not sure running cars off by rule is good policy. Running them off because no parts exist, different story and I think totally appropriate.
    [snapback]61187[/snapback]

Guys... This is a pointless direction for this conversation... The ITAC has NO intention at this time of putting any further restrictions on the age of the vehicles that are eligible for IT... The limit now is 68, and I don't anticipate revising that anytime soon... We have more important things to deal with...
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA

Originally posted by Banzai240@Sep 26 2005, 01:23 PM
    Guys... This is a pointless direction for this conversation... The ITAC has NO intention at this time of putting any further restrictions on the age of the vehicles that are eligible for IT... The limit now is 68, and I don't anticipate revising that anytime soon... We have more important things to deal with...
    [snapback]61190[/snapback]
    Me and my old car thank you.

Oops double post see below....
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Originally posted by Banzai240@Sep 26 2005, 06:23 AM
    [snapback]61190[/snapback]
    The reason I susgested a 40 year limit is that it wouldn't start untill 2008, then once it did start you could anticipate it's arrival. Let's face it there are a lot of cars that could be classed if the natural progression was that ITS moves to ITA, ITA to ITB and ect. This accounts for the dreaded performance creep and also rules creep due to technology changes. Just for conversation sake, how about a 45 year limit, wouldn't start untill 2013. There are cars from the late 90's that havn't been classed yet because they're outside of the current envelope. That's the original intent of this thread. How do you keep the current classes and allow for performance creep? Add a Uber class is one way, another is planned progressive retirement. The Uber class means splitting up a limited number of drivers and still doesn't account for technology creep. Ron, I agree that to all of a sudden de-class a car wouldn't be right, but what if you could anticipate it comming. You and I both know you can keep your JH running a long time even without any parts, that's what a CNC center is for after all. for rescuing your JH from the boneyard that's a real piece of work.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter