Thread: Sun roof

Ok folks, I knew the car had a sun roof when I bought it. I had never looked at one previously. There is a bunch of steel associated with the sun roof I understand that a person can bolt the roof in & forget about it.

After eliminating the sun roof & supporting steel how have you closed the hole ?
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Make up a piece of sheet metal to overlap the hole.

Weld or rivets--your choice.

If you weld, butt it and be careful about warp.

A good source of sheet metal is a section of roof from a non-sunroof model car, or a flat hood, etc.

Finish to your heart's content (bondo, etc.), but if you just rivet, think about sealing it.

Originally posted by ddewhurst@Sep 6 2005, 02:54 PM
    Ok folks, I knew the car had a sun roof when I bought it. I had never looked at one previously. There is a bunch of steel associated with the sun roof I understand that a person can bolt the roof in & forget about it.

After eliminating the sun roof & supporting steel how have you closed the hole ?
    [snapback]59721[/snapback]
    After removing all of the mechanisms, I simply made up two straps of 1.5" steel and them permanently welded in place across the opening by bodyshop.com.

Simply drill 3 holes in each strap to accomodate the 3 studs on the OEM steel panel and bolt in accordingly.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

My beauty has two bolts in the back corners that just go through the panel and then through the top of the car. I went around and put silicon in all the drain holes because water was coming in. Easy peasy.
    Past owner of an ITA RX7