Thread: Brake caliper rebuild question

I am getting ready to rebuild my calipers and I would like to know what rubber grease the group recommends. PBR has some rubber grease that Pegasus racing sells and I was looking at Dow-Corning 55 O-ring lubricant from Enco. Any comments?

David

"The difference between Doctor's and Engineer's is that Doctor's get to bury their mistakes..."
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Originally posted by rsportvolvo@Sep 6 2005, 02:31 AM
    I am getting ready to rebuild my calipers and I would like to know what rubber grease the group recommends. PBR has some rubber grease that Pegasus racing sells and I was looking at Dow-Corning 55 O-ring lubricant from Enco. Any comments?

David

"The difference between Doctor's and Engineer's is that Doctor's get to bury their mistakes..."
    [snapback]59668[/snapback]
    Have you already ruled out using genuine Volvo reman. calipers? Last time I used them the quality was very good and they came nicely painted.

My reluctance comes from less than stellar results from "overhauling" calipers at home.

BTW all the lubricant I ever used was clean brake fluid.
    Peter Linssen
    SPM Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB/FP/VP1 Opel Manta

Originally posted by itmanta@Sep 6 2005, 03:39 AM
    Have you already ruled out using genuine Volvo reman. calipers? Last time I used them the quality was very good and they came nicely painted.

My reluctance comes from less than stellar results from "overhauling" calipers at home.

BTW all the lubricant I ever used was clean brake fluid.
    [snapback]59670[/snapback]
    I ask this question for two reasons:
    First is for rebuilding the calipers I have laying around, which is cheaper than Volvo Genuine parts.
    Second is that I plan on servicing my calipers during the season and again, purchasing rebuild calipers via any source is more expensive than an OEM seal kit.

I prefer not to use brake fluid for this. The PBR rubber grease is only @ $9, so it won't break the bank. This may be the key for stellar results.

P.S. You should ditch the Opel and build a 242:-)
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Mc Kay makes a brake assembly lube and thats what I have used for 25 years It works great! Just remember cleanlness is next to Godleness when working with a open brake system! Glenn

Originally posted by lobster@Sep 7 2005, 03:18 AM
    Mc Kay makes a brake assembly lube and thats what I have used for 25 years It works great! Just remember cleanlness is next to Godleness when working with a open brake system! Glenn
    [snapback]59769[/snapback]
    Any recommendations on where to get the McKay brake assembly lube?

I couldn't agree with you more on the "Cleanliness is next to Godliness."

David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

"P.S. You should ditch the Opel and build a 242:-) "

When you develop the 242 to be faster than the Opel, let me know.
    BTW the 740T is too much fun, ITE trumps ITB for sure
    Peter Linssen
    SPM Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB/FP/VP1 Opel Manta

Curious, but why isn't brake fluid isn't good enough. ???

I rebuild the calipers on my sports racer several times a season, IT & SM car once a season, vintage car every other season or so...and have never used anything but brake fluid. Never heard anyone recommend anything but brake fluid. Don't know anyone who uses anything but brake fluid. What kind of alien compounds are you introducing to your brake system if you use something other than brake fluid ?

Use Dow Corning 112 Silicone grease. It should be available from most industrial supply companies.

Grafton

I work for a caliper rebuilding company. Silicone grease is not good for use inside the hydraulic system, it is good for lubing slide pins and external components of the caliper that are not subject to intense heat. For the square cut seal and the piston, either clean brake fluid or caliper/wheel cylinder assembly lube is a good choice. The chain stores don't carry this much more but the mom and pop parts houses should have some assembly lube lying around. Silicone grease = silicone dialectric grease, the same as tune-up grease and available at any auto parts store. The #1 problem I see with people rebuilding their own calipers is failure to properly clean the seal groove in the caliper. If everything is clean and the piston surface is in good shape, the caliper will live a long life provided that the correct parts are used to rebuild it, the piston boot remains in good shape, and slide pin lubricant is renewed on a regular basis. A little silicone grease on the inside of the boot helps keep the boot in good shape.