Thread: Avon Tires

Anyone running them?

What are they like?

How long do they last?

Finally, How do they compare? (Competitive)

I'm looking at trying different tire makes next year and am very curious about the Avons. They look amazingly similar to the Hoosiers...

Thanks
    #70 ITA, Signs Now Holland, Mi.
    '01 Ford Focus ZX3
    Midwestern Council

Come on...

Don't be shy...

Anybody???
    '01 Ford Focus ZX3
    Midwestern Council

Why don't you try the search engine. I'm sure there was some discussion of this previously.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Kinda helped, not too much info yet, but doesn't look good... God do I feel like such a noob...

In my defense, I did do an earlier search on "Ford Focus" and got nothing but crap and therefore made the assumption that the "Avon" search would be the same...

Thanks
    '01 Ford Focus ZX3
    Midwestern Council

I doubt that many of us are running the AVONS, but there was some discussion of this several months ago--on the old board.

I do not think FOCI are classified in IT yet, although us Ford fanatics would like to see it. They run in Showroom Stock (maybe too new?)

Information only, not a DOT tire & from a different class. Coello won the FC CenDiv championship using Avon this year.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

On the Focus, stay tuned....

On the Avons, I remember a thread, but they weren't really noteworthy as being a good solution ....well, as a better solution than what already exists...but my memory is cloudy, so do some digging to be sure.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I looked at them over the off season and wasn't encouraged by the lack of info. Tirerack seems to be the exclusive supplier and they knew absolutely zero about their product when I called. They told me to call Goodyear. Seems Goodyear must own Cooper which owns.... I did notice a SM guy running them at Grattan this past weekend. He must have been a Tirerack employee because his car was bathed in Tirerack stickers and he had his email address on the back of the car ([email protected]). So maybe they finally have some feedback?

I can say that I autocrossed on a set last year and was very impressed. That set also durometered 10 points softer than 03 Hoosiers. My only fear in running them was that they would be too soft and wouldn't last.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

A friend of mine is a Race Engineer for a FF Zetec team and absolutely loves working with the folks at Avon (i.e. Cooper). Their Engineers are always available and are constantly tinkering with the compounds to improve the tires performance. Not sure if this is the case for their DOT-R tires, but Avon does give a lot of Engineering info on their other tires. Just my $0.02.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

i got a set of the avons because they were a bit cheaper than the hoosiers. big mistake. these tires simply do not perform on the track when compared to other DOT race tires. i would say autocross only.

Matt Rooke
    89 RX7