Thread: Still looking for other Celica racers!

Was wondering if theres anyone else out there still interested in a Celica project? My '86 is getting it's rollcage installed, as the engine and suspension peices are being readied back at my shop. If all goes as planned, she should be race ready sometime in the spring of 2006. I have found one other of these cars currently racing on the west coast, but would like to see more of them built, looks real promissing on paper, but time will tell.

racerb

I run the same body with the bigger engine. There is potential in the body but parts can be hard to find.

Good luck with the project.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Originally posted by jhooten@Aug 30 2005, 01:05 PM
    I run the same body with the bigger engine. There is potential in the body but parts can be hard to find.

Good luck with the project.
    [snapback]59284[/snapback]
    Hey man sounds cool, but it aint exactlly the the same car, I'm building the 4th generation frontwheel drive Celica GTS, and in that year mine has the biggest engine, cause thats when the Celica and Supra parted ways. Yeah up till that year the two cars shared the same chassis, but then in 86 they went different direction drivetrain wise. My car has what is known as a 3SGE powerplant, which is kinda the big brother of the 1.6 liter from the MR-2, being the 3S is a 2 liter. I have seen these cars run before and they were at that time pretty impressive, hope mine will be at least a mid-pack or higher car. You are right though that parts are not easy to come by, but I've always enjoyed the challenge of building what other people aint got.

racerb

I AM CONVERTING AN SCCA OPENCLASS 88 CELICA ALLTRAC INTO A ROADRACER. AS FAR AS I KNOW I CAN ONLY COMPETE IN ITE. WHICH SEEMS TO HAVE A LOT OF BIG HP CARS. BUT I'M PRETTY CONFIDENT THAT 400HP,ALL WHEEL DRIVE, 2650LBS AND 255 TIRES AT ALL 4 CORNERS SHOULD MAKE FOR SOME FUN AT THE TRACK WETHER OR NOT I CAN HANG WITH VIPERS,VETTES AND PORSCHES AS WELL AS OLDER FULL RACE CARS. I STILL HAVE A WHILE TO GO WITH THE CAR. VERY EXPENSIVE BUILDING A TURBO CAR TO BE RELIABLE!!
    BACK TO WORK

Having owned an AllTrac . . . think "brakes".

Originally posted by ERIC THOMPSON@Sep 6 2005, 04:20 PM
    I AM CONVERTING AN SCCA OPENCLASS 88 CELICA ALLTRAC INTO A ROADRACER. AS FAR AS I KNOW I CAN ONLY COMPETE IN ITE. WHICH SEEMS TO HAVE A LOT OF BIG HP CARS. BUT I'M PRETTY CONFIDENT THAT 400HP,ALL WHEEL DRIVE, 2650LBS AND 255 TIRES AT ALL 4 CORNERS SHOULD MAKE FOR SOME FUN AT THE TRACK WETHER OR NOT I CAN HANG WITH VIPERS,VETTES AND PORSCHES AS WELL AS OLDER FULL RACE CARS. I STILL HAVE A WHILE TO GO WITH THE CAR. VERY EXPENSIVE BUILDING A TURBO CAR TO BE RELIABLE!!
    BACK TO WORK
    [snapback]59711[/snapback]
    Hey I think the All-Trac would be a lot of fun to race, there are some Eagle Talon
    and Plymouth Laser all-wheel drives running in ITE and SPO classes around the country. Go for it man, we just need more Toyotas, especially Celicas on the track.

racerb

I THINK I AM COVERED IN THE BRAKES DEPT. ROCKETEER PERFORMANCE IN CALI MAKE A 4 WHEEL 13" 4 PISTON WILWOOD KIT. BUT I THINK I MIGHT NEED A NEW CAGE BY THE TIME THE CAR IS READY. ITS CHROMOLY AND IT WAS BUILT ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO AND LAST CERTIFIED(LOG BOOK) IN 2001. I HAVE THE SPECS AT HOME. I'LL POST THEM LATER. THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME SO ANY ADVICE WOULD BE SUPER!!! LATER TOYOTA DUDES

Hey guys I'm adding a picture of my Celica Performance Touring car (NASA), racer that I'm working on as a project. The car in the picture is more of a test mule, but is very much the same as the actuall car, which is still under construction. This was from an HPDE at North Carolina Speedway this past weekend.

racerb

As I continue to develope the PT car, just thought you guys would like to see it's current state. I've done quite a bit of suspension tuning over the winter, including the addition of coil-overs and camber plates. These mods have really brought the GTS alive, and made handling on par with any of my previous IT cars. I have also gutted the interior and added a Ultra-Sheild race seat and G-Force harnesses, making driver confidence much higher and safer. Little by little this car is getting closer to being what I invisioned for my perfect PT racer. Here are some pics from my recent trip to VIR, where the car performed flawlessly!

racerb