Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scirocco II's in ITC

I really enjoyed crewing for a National Champion in H production. We won the first year they raced in Mid Ohio, but we suffered many years of not so good finishes. If I was to go back, I would love to be somehow in every turn and straight in Topeka during the Spec Miata race. It's amazing how many of them have come from out of the wood work, and how many drivers have come from out of the woods. No offense intended, but as in most spec classes, the have's are there for a reason, and the have not's are there to pass.

I'll agree with the ITS deal. A friend did everything he could to talk me into building an ITS 240Z. I decided that there was more to be gained from improving my driving than from horsepower. I confirmed that last year with a ride in a potential ITA championship winning car...I was a sled. I turned faster times 6 months later at the same track in my own ITC car.

Peter Principal.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Originally posted by Bill Miller@Sep 14 2005, 09:11 PM
    Just wait 'till next year Mark!!!!
    [snapback]60177[/snapback]
    I really HOPE that we never get grouped with the Wreck Pinatas. If anything, they'll have their own group or get grouped with Showroom stock, as they should. However that being said, if here in the southeast division a race chairman gets seriously stupid and puts the prod cars in with the SM's then I'll definitely consider skipping that race. :angry:

On the bright side, an extra 40-50 cars per national will bring in more money for the regions.

MC
    Mark Coffin
    #14 FP VW Scirocco
    Former ITC roustabout...

Originally posted by racer14itc@Sep 16 2005, 07:47 AM
    I really HOPE that we never get grouped with the Wreck Pinatas. If anything, they'll have their own group or get grouped with Showroom stock, as they should. However that being said, if here in the southeast division a race chairman gets seriously stupid and puts the prod cars in with the SM's then I'll definitely consider skipping that race. :angry:

On the bright side, an extra 40-50 cars per national will bring in more money for the regions.

MC
    [snapback]60364[/snapback]
    Mark,

You're probably right, there will probably be enough of them to get their own run group. But, that presents the problem of how do you add another run group.

And I doubt that it will be 40-50 NEW cars. Sure, you'll get some new folks out there, but probably not that many. I think it will be mostly guys moving from Regionals to Nationals. So you get to charge them a bit more.

Good luck in Ohio!! Do us VW drivers proud!

Originally posted by racer14itc@Sep 16 2005, 11:47 AM
    ... if here in the southeast division a race chairman gets seriously stupid and puts the prod cars in with the SM's then I'll definitely consider skipping that race. :angry:
    Scott Giles did an informal study of ITC entry numbers and the data suggest that they are less likely to show up when grouped with the Me-otters.

K

Originally posted by Bill Miller@Sep 16 2005, 12:05 PM
    Mark,

You're probably right, there will probably be enough of them to get their own run group. But, that presents the problem of how do you add another run group.

And I doubt that it will be 40-50 NEW cars. Sure, you'll get some new folks out there, but probably not that many. I think it will be mostly guys moving from Regionals to Nationals. So you get to charge them a bit more.

Good luck in Ohio!! Do us VW drivers proud!
    [snapback]60366[/snapback]
    My theory is that many of the local guys will run their local national, and still support the regional series. The hardcore national SM guys will run more than the minimum 4 races, so at least the national races will make more money than now. What will the net/net result be? I have no idea.

If the region puts on a straight national race, there is room for the SM race group. IIRC, the Summit Point national has a vintage group in there (it did the '04) so the region may have to drop a support race like that to fit the SM's in. If the regions get greedy and try to stuff 40-50 cars in with another race group then some other folks will reconsider racing that national.

In Atlanta for example, they have Pro-IT races during the national race weekend. I'm curious to see what happens there...

MC
    Mark Coffin
    #14 FP VW Scirocco
    Former ITC roustabout...

No offense against the SM guys, their cars, the drivers, their driving styles, etc. They put on a helluva race to watch, but not be in the middle of in another class of car. They are on a seperate mission on the track. I've benefited from some of them screwing up and racing with ITC, and I've been screwed up by the same.
    Placing them in a group with us is as maniacal as when they used to group Spec Renaults with the small bore sedans and production cars. Lap times are close to the same, but driving, handling, braking, acceleration, etc. are all drastically different.
    I&#39;d rather race my ITC car with the entire IT field or the small production cars than with SMs. There are differences in performance, but you aren&#39;t in the middle of a 5-10 car group battling for the same piece of turf. Nor are you involved with someone too slow to run with his class and settles for a race with a lower classed cars just to get his cookies off. <_<
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic