Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: STL October 29/30

Originally posted by Racerlinn@Oct 31 2005, 02:42 AM

Kevin, If you have the shot of me spinning and maybe one other decent one where I am not, please email me asap
    [snapback]64056[/snapback]

Pics emailed, but I thought I'd share this one with everyone.

Kevin M. Keller
    crew, '94 Saturn SC2 ITA CenDiv 2003 Champs
    F&C, STL Region
    http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com

Originally posted by KevSC1@Oct 31 2005, 03:07 AM

[snapback]64060[/snapback]
    Doh!
    :119:
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Steve the "miata" did come in and survey the damage(black if I remember correctly) and lost at least 1/2 a lap

"The driver and I viewed his in-car video afterward, and his opinion was that I "drove over him". My opinion (and confirmed by his video in my opinion) was that I had the corner (T2) and he dove in on me. I don't think he did much braking... We agreed to diagree and both chalked it up to a "racing deal"."

The problem IMO is w/ the GCR "rules of the road." They offer no real guidance and give both drivers involved in an incident an argument, and the SOM/COA leeway to rule however they want. Although it is "the rule" most everywhere else (including w/ Randy Pobst in SportsCar), there is nothing in our rules about having or taking a corner. Usually the overtaking car gets handed the blame because of the duty to make a safe pass, even if the lead car turns in on him in what what most drivers would consider a block or worse. (I'm not talking about the incident at St. Louis - I know nothing about it.) I advocate a review of our passing rules to codify the explanations given by Pobst in his series of articles. If you agree, write Terry Ozment in Topeka and ask her to look into it.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

Originally posted by Racerlinn@Oct 30 2005, 09:42 PM
    I'm happy with the drive I put in to come back from last and to finish in 12th overall and 3rd in class. .......
    Thank again to everyone for a great weekend. I'll be making the trip back again next year.
    [snapback]64056[/snapback]
    You definitely weren't last. In fact, T1 had pulled their yellow for you before I even got to them ... I suffered from lack of talent in T6 on the first lap and spun off drivers right into the gulley... I went to a club race and turned it into a rally cross! Good thing it'd been dry for a couple of weeks or I'd have been toast.

Your right about the feeling of just plugging away. If I hadn't been an idiot and just went to tech, I'd have ended up third in class.

Good to finally meet Steve and Kevin and looking forward to next season!
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Your "crew chief" should have been paying closer attention !!! My bad

Originally posted by m glassburner@Oct 31 2005, 11:52 AM
    Your "crew chief" should have been paying closer attention !!! My bad
    [snapback]64100[/snapback]
    LOL Hey... I was just happy to finish!
    I almost forgot!!! A HUGE thank you to Mike Glassburner for all of his help and knowledge on the Neon and to Steve and Sheila Burkette of Tuxedo Park Racing for letting me use their RX7 after we ran into problems with the Neon on Saturday.

Results are posted
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

My thanks to St. Louis Region for another great weekend of racing, the weather was awesome even though a little chilly in the morning runs. Cold tires, track, and driver make for an interesting combination. I didnt get to participate in Saturday's race, but Sunday's was a thrill for me. Good close racing in the IT group.

Thanks so much to Mike Glassburner for helping me out in the pits. Good thing you drove the Neon to the track or else I wouldnt have been able to get the #53 Neon out there. And your advise and knowledge must have sunk in my thick head a little bit to be able to get into the 18's. That was a huge milestone for me.

Steve L,

I was just behind that incident in T2 and caught the tail end on video and then got some more video as you passed me by on your way to the front. Great catch to keep it from getting over in the grass and maybe catching the wall.

Steve
    #53 ITA Neon ACR
    Plan "B" Racing
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Springs

Originally posted by mcgyverit@Oct 31 2005, 07:31 PM
    Steve L,
    I was just behind that incident in T2 and caught the tail end on video and then got some more video as you passed me by on your way to the front. Great catch to keep it from getting over in the grass and maybe catching the wall.
    [snapback]64108[/snapback]
    Well, I wish I could say it was all driver skill, but that would just be a big lie.
    Although I did have kind of a flaskback go thru my mind at the time. I have done nearly the same style of loop and go while autocrossing the car - in fact I did it once early this year at a Solo event where the surface we run on does not have much grip. Of course it didn't involve body contact! But when I suddenly was facing the pack of cars coming straight at me, I think some instinct kicked in and rather than jamming on the brakes, I let the car continue to rotate and spun the wheel back around to help it go all the way around and grabbed a gear. My thanks go out to the corner worker at the outside of T2. When I jammed it back in gear (the car never actually came to a stop) I was facing directly towards him and he was immediately waving me on to get my butt back on track. Love those workers baby!!
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Steve,

The only answer I can give is that your incident was never referred to the SOM.

Evidently the Operating Steward did not wish to pursue a CSA, or had insufficient data to do so.

Had you protested him, we would have ruled based on evidence presented - and a couple of videos would have helped.

Norm