Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factory Shop Manual

Originally posted by rlearp@Sep 25 2005, 07:48 AM
    Yeah, JensenSpeed, I like that!

Greg, you are correct and now the wheels are turning. I could then also easily come up with some letters about how the 2.2L stroker crank superceeded the 2.0L crank, the rear axle was superceeded with an easy to get Ford 7.5" axle, and rare as Rocking Horse poop 5 speed Getrag transmission was superceeded by a really common Toyota 5 sp that happened to come out 10 years after "we" went out of business!

I guess not huh?

Ron
    [snapback]61124[/snapback]

Ron,

You mean to say that there's a kraut box in that limey car??

Yep. And it gets worse.

The cars came with 4 speeds or 5 speeds. The four speed was common and was a strong Chysler piece. The 5 speed is not strong and is very unique - the only other application for this particular Getrag 5 speed box is the BMW 2002 Turbo, not exactly a lot of those around!

The five speed has good ratios, it is the "close ratio" version of the box. Dogleg first and H pattern 2-5, sort of odd but cool. The bad thing is most parts for the box are NLA and the couple of fellows in the US that rebuild the boxes get around $3000 to do so. Used boxes sell for $1500-$2000 in unknown condition.

I've got a five and four speed, both bolt up and use the same clutch, pressure plate, and linkage, therefore swapping them is no problem (you must change driveshafts but I have both).

Given the peaky nature of the Lotus 4 banger I think a five speed is a must. The 240/260Z does okay with a 4 speed and I don't see a huge problem there. But I don't think this car would have enough torque to dig out with a 4 speed.

R

Damn Ron, could you have picked a more obscure car to race? Next thing, you'll build a Cortina GT for ITC! :119:

Tough road to hoe, either way, that is certain. There are far fewer Jensens in the US than Cortinas though, there are essentially only about 2400 that ever came in when Jensen Healey was in business. The register has far fewer now running , only in the 700s or so. My own car was basically a"collection of parts, three of which were a body, transmission, and engine" that was about to get canned, or at least, was certainly on the way to being a parts car. In any event, it did not run nor would it be running any time soon without a rescue operation. Hard, but you learn a lot and you get the satisfaction, if it ever runs and does well, of saying I built it - didn't order it from a parts catalog (although building the SM has been lesiurely), didn't call JensenWorld, or have someone make it, these oddballs are all "you"!

Ron,

I actually saw one on the road Labor Day weekend. It was a Mk III, and was in pretty nice shape. I can't remember the last time I saw a Cortina GT on the road. It's gotta be 25 years, at least.

Bill, you are right in both are rare. I saw my first running Jensen about 4 months ago when one of the 15 or so in NC drove over to check out the race car. Had never driven one until then either, nor seen one run, that was the first time ever.

But, I've not seen a Cortina in 15 years at least, except for at a show. I don't think many of those are around any more either, at least, running ones. Probably about the same number as Jensens, just more parts and donor cars than Jensens.