Thread: Spitballing - alternatives to doubles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Derek/Colin/Rob,

Any thoughts on this subject? I know I have had conversations in the past with you all about how much track time you get (ie races) at your home track, so maybe you can chime in with an example schedule.

How about THIS!!!!!!:

Fri/Sat/Sun at NHIS

Friday: first half of day open practice (big bore, small bore, open wheel)
    Second half of day 30 mins qualifying sessions

Saturday: TWO RACES

Sunday: TWO RACES

Starting order for the races intially determined by qualifying run, then by previous race finishing order

Benefits: You can charge two fees: ~$360 for people doing all three days, or the standard $225 or so for the two days.....People do not have to do all three, only downside is for race #1, they will start farther back where they should have qualified
    FOUR RACES!!! that would be crazy and hopefully a lot of fun

Comments?
    Alan Lourenco
    NER #78 ITB Audi Coupe GT

When we did some of these things in the past, I loved them. I like the longer races and have a great time in them.

However, outside of the IT/SM crowd, I don't think the longer races are welcomed as much. Not that they don't want the track time, but their cars are not built for it.

Hell, I like the qualifying races we used to do (I remember a LRP event with a qual race Sat morning and a Regional race Sat afternoon. That rocked). So, I'm all for it!

Jeremy
    "It's a fact..."

Originally posted by itbgti@Aug 22 2005, 06:43 AM

How about THIS!!!!!!:

Fri/Sat/Sun at NHIS

Friday: first half of day open practice (big bore, small bore, open wheel)
    Second half of day 30 mins qualifying sessions

Saturday: TWO RACES

Sunday: TWO RACES

Starting order for the races intially determined by qualifying run, then by previous race finishing order

Comments?
    [snapback]58771[/snapback]
    That would be SICK! I vote for that. Question for Dick/Brian - could we get 4 sanction numbers? If you can, then TONS of people would come from all over to satisfy drivers requirments in one weekend!!!!

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Alan's Fri/Sat/Sun idea is cool, but it would appear to put a very heavy burden on volunteers.

As a 2-day alternative, how about a practice/qual on Sat AM that sets the field for 3 (count 'em!) races - one Sat PM, then two on Sunday? (As an alternative, the finishing order for each race could establish the starting order of the next race.)

One other thing: For me, a 20-lap race is plenty, thank you; a 30-lapper would feel like drudgery. If the goal is track time, I would far prefer two 15-lappers over a 30. Anybody else feel this way?

Steve U

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com