Originally posted by Knestis@Aug 17 2005, 01:09 AM
Yay, Mr. Slug! That's an interesting solution to the IT problem - and you are right about the smog/carb/manifold issues. That may well be your single biggest challenge, working out how things cooperate once you rip out the extra junk, but those engines are a sound starting point for an ITB car. Good luck with the new project...

K
[snapback]58523[/snapback]

Thanks Kirk! Yeah, after all the research I did, it seemed like a pretty good choice. Driving it home tonight confirmed what I thought; its a tough, reliable car. From the way it ran and drove, you would not think its a 25 year old car that I bought for $400 bucks. Granted, the cosmetics are shot to hell, but who cares about that on a car that will have the interior gutted and will be repainted anyway. A buddy of mine, who is going to be helping me with the build, owned a 4-door sedan version of this when he lived in Hawaii. He literally drove it for a year and a half without changing or adding oil. When he pulled the head to look at it, the cylinders looked almost new... and the thing had almost 200k miles on it! The car I just bought runs so well that we probably wont even bother with a rebuild at the start. Maybe a valve job, but thats it. Anyway, now is the fun part of collecting the parts and tearing the thing down. Woohoo!