Thread: I am now a member of Team Oddball

Thats right ladies and gentlemen. After 4 long years of research and lurking, I FINALLY bought my donor car this morning! Woohoo! So what car, you ask? Its a 1980 Toyota Corolla SR-5. Dats right, with the 1.8 hemi and everything! Be afraid, be very afraid!!!!! Sorry, anyway, we are going to start work on it relatively soon, so Ill probably be making a blog or something about it. Ill make sure to post the info here. Here is a pic of a Corolla like mine. Mine is some kind of weird burnt orange color that will definately be changed before I hit the track. This car should make about 130hp in IT trim. Dont let the spec sheet fool you. Its bogged down by a ton of smog gear, a highly restrictive exhaust, and a HORRIBLE carb.

Now, if only I can figure out a good name for the racing team....

[attachmentid=4]

JDM Version

[attachmentid=5]
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Formerly building ITB Corolla
    Now building ???

"I remember the immortal words of Socrates when he said, 'I drank what?'"

Congratulations!

Is that the ITB version at 2310 lbs?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Originally posted by lateapex911@Aug 16 2005, 09:19 PM
    Congratulations!

Is that the ITB version at 2310 lbs?
    [snapback]58511[/snapback]

Yes indeed.
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Now building ???

Originally posted by Jiveslug@Aug 16 2005, 11:42 PM
    Yes indeed.
    [snapback]58519[/snapback]
    Yay, Mr. Slug! That's an interesting solution to the IT problem - and you are right about the smog/carb/manifold issues. That may well be your single biggest challenge, working out how things cooperate once you rip out the extra junk, but those engines are a sound starting point for an ITB car. Good luck with the new project...

K

Originally posted by Knestis@Aug 17 2005, 01:09 AM
    Yay, Mr. Slug! That's an interesting solution to the IT problem - and you are right about the smog/carb/manifold issues. That may well be your single biggest challenge, working out how things cooperate once you rip out the extra junk, but those engines are a sound starting point for an ITB car. Good luck with the new project...

K
    [snapback]58523[/snapback]

Thanks Kirk! Yeah, after all the research I did, it seemed like a pretty good choice. Driving it home tonight confirmed what I thought; its a tough, reliable car. From the way it ran and drove, you would not think its a 25 year old car that I bought for $400 bucks. Granted, the cosmetics are shot to hell, but who cares about that on a car that will have the interior gutted and will be repainted anyway. A buddy of mine, who is going to be helping me with the build, owned a 4-door sedan version of this when he lived in Hawaii. He literally drove it for a year and a half without changing or adding oil. When he pulled the head to look at it, the cylinders looked almost new... and the thing had almost 200k miles on it! The car I just bought runs so well that we probably wont even bother with a rebuild at the start. Maybe a valve job, but thats it. Anyway, now is the fun part of collecting the parts and tearing the thing down. Woohoo!
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Now building ???

Slug, GREAT!!! I am glad to see another TANK in ITB! There were a couple of guys from Pasadena. Years ago that ran a four door like that and they used it as a daily driver this was 15 years ago plus!!! Hope to see you out there soon! Glenn P.S. GREEN is a good color for TANKS like ours

Originally posted by lobster@Aug 18 2005, 12:29 PM
    Slug, GREAT!!! I am glad to see another TANK in ITB! There were a couple of guys from Pasadena. Years ago that ran a four door like that and they used it as a daily driver this was 15 years ago plus!!! Hope to see you out there soon! Glenn P.S. GREEN is a good color for TANKS like ours
    [snapback]58582[/snapback]

Hahahaha!!! Yeah, tank is a good word for this car! I think Ill call it "Sherman" from now on. lol. Anyway, I just took some pics this morning and will download and post them tonight.
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Now building ???

I like the green... and go oddballs!!!

As far as your comments on Team name... Our name (RST Performance Racing) came from my mothers original business in the 80's named RST Performance. RST stood for Raymond (me) Stephen (by brother) and Trish (My Mom). It also stood for Road, Street, and Track. Interestingly R also stood for Ray and Randy the S stood for Steve and the T also stood for Tom and later Tim as well as Theresa. Those were the names to the people that made up the backbone to the RST Performance family.

Good luck!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Thanks Raymond! Ive actually kept an eye on your team's progress and have found it to be rather inspirational. Im pretty much doing the same thing you did, taking a car that is not commonly raced but I think will be competitive and just going for it. Good thing for me that there is some aftermarket support, so I wont have to spend time fabricating parts. Finding the right setup on the other hand..... Anyway, Im coming up with a few ideas here and there for a team name. I know its not the most important thing, but I want to reserve the domain name and start a website chronicling the build up of the car....
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Now building ???

Alrighty, as promised, here are some photos. It doesnt look like much now, but its pretty good for basically a blank canvas....

[attachmentid=8]

[attachmentid=9]
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Now building ???

A couple more.....

[attachmentid=10]

[attachmentid=11]
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Now building ???

it looks HEAVY.....

Originally posted by racer-025@Aug 19 2005, 03:33 PM
    it looks HEAVY.....
    [snapback]58647[/snapback]

Yeah, looks that way, but actually its only about 2300 lbs. The base coupe model is around 2100-2200 lbs. Since the spec weight is 2310, Im not forseeing any major issues with weight.
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Now building ???

Hey again. I started a car domain page for the time being. I should be updating it regularly. Ive pulled the pics on the board here and have moved them there. Thanks!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2091326
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Now building ???

Just made an update to my Car Domain site. Progress on the racer is pretty slow right now, but should be picking up soon.
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Now building ???