Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Classifications

Originally posted by zracre@Aug 30 2005, 03:50 AM
    All this ITC talk is making me want to build a car....hmmmmm lets see what can be done for a small budget racer...try to keep under 5 grand.......less tire wear and brake useage hmmm :P
    [snapback]59259[/snapback]
    Evan, I can make you such a deal! Trailer stays with me. I've got almost as much invested in that as the car.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

I do not have a problem running whatever gear box I am suppose to. That has never been the issue here. I do not really like how some people have referenced the fact that I purposefully did something wrong. When we built the car their were two transmissions listed in the GCR. One was going to be extremely expensive and hard to comeby the r&p needed and the other was going to be a simple use of a stock r&p. SO....I chose the easier one. Actually the r&p needed to make the wideratio box anywhere close to competitive is not even available or made anymore. I knew that docs had been presented to scca that put that trans in the GCR, so why would I doubt that it was legal? (Please note that I was not the one who got that gearbox added to the GCR.) Well now I guess I should question anything. I think I have found the correct r&p to make it work, but I have to tell you it is going to cost more than most ITC cars cost starting out. (I am not saying I shouldnt have to spend money to race competitively.) But I have to have that r&p right? That or waste a new car that would not have been built in the first place if I new I had to use that gearbox. I hope by some means that the close ratio box is found to have come in my car, but based on the evidence I have seen so far, I question that. I am not a book worm nor do I have access to all of the microfiche and crazy vw documents that I have seen for this car recently, those that are over 20 years old. I do not think one should have to go dig through 20 year old factory microfiche before one chooses a race car. Thats plain silly.

Final Thoughts........

I think the current system needs to revised in some form or fashion. My situation is an example of this. I think much greater care needs to be spent before specs are put in the GCR, because it is our rule book right? I like to spend my time racing, not building a library of 20year old specs to decide on a car or not. I also do not like people assuming things about me and the reasons for which I have done things when they do not know me at all. For me, thats all this situation has done, that and possible cause me to spend a boat load.

Derek Ketchie
    Derek Ketchie SEDiv

Originally posted by madrabbit15@Aug 31 2005, 02:20 PM
    I do not think one should have to go dig through 20 year old factory microfiche before one chooses a race car. Thats plain silly.

Me neither.
    I would not protest Derek for using the close ratio box, even if it is found to not have originally come in the car. He built what the rulebook said he could build, and I'm OK with that. IMO as long as that gearbox is on his spec line, he's legal and has done NOTHING wrong.

I think when we start accusing drivers of cheating because they didn't research what the rules said they can do we're starting to roll down one of Kirk's slippery slopes.
    If the rules are mistaken, fine, fix them. And Derek has to buy/build a new transmission (which he has apparently already done). But don't insinuate he was trying to get one over on anybody.

This is, of course, all my very humble opinion.

PS - Just for clarification, I'm not a "buddy" of Derek's. I've met him exactly once and raced against him exactly once (a great one BTW).
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

I think the gearbox is a non issue until someone changes it...It says its legal...it IS legal.
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge