Bill,

Eric Parham (sp?) was the man name who provided the documentation the THE COMMITTEE. All '84 cars had two winshield wipers. Guess what, his car was an 1984 scirocco with dual windshield wipers and a 1.7 engine with the vin to prove it. The wide ratio gear box was was discontinued halfway through 1983 on sciroccos. That means that any 1.7 cars in 1984 had that close ratio gearbox. Eric sent the documentation on his car along with the documentation of the on the production of the gearbox to THE COMMITTEE. All of this info was on the original dealer micro fiche. Oh and one other thing, if no cars were built in 1984 then why is it listed in the bentley manual? You of all people should know that VW is probably the worst company when it comes to documenting all of the parts that came on different cars. This is why Eric's vin # was crossed with the transaxle microfiche for the decision. I hope this clears some of it up. I will refrain from furthur posts as this documentation has already been provided and it will just become an arguement between you and myself.

Derek