Thread: Speaking of Oddballs...

... has anyone ever seen a Volkswagen Beetle (the real ones, not the New ones) in IT trim? They are listed in ITC, though there is no published weight. I have a friend who has a wild hair about building one. I keep telling him that the drum brakes would be the death of the car if nothing else got him first. Just curious if anyone has gone down that path before.

-Art
    -Art Thompson
    ITC Honda Crx

Not in several years . . . there used to be a few, but they were not competitive.

I suspect that there are none running, because the GCR weight error has existed for at least the last 2 years (only '04 and '05 handy), and nobody has whined. IIRC, the regular 1600 Beetle was at 1800# and the Super Beetle was at 1850#.

Originally posted by RacerArt@Aug 15 2005, 05:06 PM
    ... has anyone ever seen a Volkswagen Beetle (the real ones, not the New ones) in IT trim? They are listed in ITC, though there is no published weight. I have a friend who has a wild hair about building one. I keep telling him that the drum brakes would be the death of the car if nothing else got him first. Just curious if anyone has gone down that path before.

-Art
    [snapback]58421[/snapback]
    Here in the SEDIV, Benjamin Hinson drove one for a few races back in 2000. Here's a link to the Kershaw results:

http://www.improvedtouring.com/resul...kershaw001.htm

Benjamin was only 16 or 17 yrs old if I recall and he built the car with the help of his dad. It wasn't particular fast but it was cool!

MC
    Mark Coffin
    #14 FP VW Scirocco
    Former ITC roustabout...

Mark,

Thanks for the info! That is exactly what I was looking for! With no spec weight listed I figured nobody had built one. Any idea how I could get ahold of Benjamin?

Thanks,

-Art
    -Art Thompson
    ITC Honda Crx

I think tha car got sold about three years ago: Just for kicks I emailed the guy who was selling it for his buddy and he said it was dog slow but handled OK...

Originally posted by RacerArt@Aug 17 2005, 09:32 AM
    Mark,

Thanks for the info! That is exactly what I was looking for! With no spec weight listed I figured nobody had built one. Any idea how I could get ahold of Benjamin?

Thanks,

-Art
    [snapback]58541[/snapback]
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

This is getting interesting. I'm in SEDiv too. If anyone has info on where the VW is or how to track down the owner I would appreciate it. Who knows; if it's still alive it might be fun and eye-catching as an autocross car.
    -Art Thompson
    ITC Honda Crx

Super Beetles actually handle really well when properly set-up (lowered in the front, stiffer front springs, rear sway bar). If they were allowed to run ITC with disc brakes, dual carburators (34mm or 40mm) and lighter weight (1700 lbs or so) it might be a competitive and AFFORDABLE car. It would look cool, too!

I have a '71 Super as a summer driver, and would consider building a '71/'72 Super as an ITC car it could be reasonably (mid-pack at least) competitve.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

There is someone on the VW/Audi race car thread doing a Super Beetle.
    John McFarland
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    #02 GTA Chevy Monte Carlo

Scott McFarland
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    #88 ITC Renault Alliance

Mentor, OH

Dave Vestrand raced a '72 Standard Beetle in GT5 around 1995-97. Darin Stocker built the cage for it. The car had a dual-port engine de-bored to 1300cc, fiberglass fenders, 4-wheel disc brakes, etc. It looked cool but was wholly uncompetitive. The last time I saw the car its current owner turned it into a drag-race-only car. At least the drive is safe...the cage was stout!

I thought I heard a rumour in the paddock the other weekend that Vestrand's ITC car has a new owner. Of course, the liklihood of it actually hitting the track as such is a whole 'nuther story...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com