Thread: newbie with questions

Hello, you guys are the best! I have started a MkII GTI ITB project, and have nearly completed a full stripping and will soon finish welding in the cage, so I will be turning the corner toward reconstruction soon. I hope to be race ready for a double drivers school in February. I have spent many hours reading your posts and they have been very helpful, as have a couple of vendors worth mentioning; BSI and Shine Racing.

What have you guys done with your heater cores? I know that by the GCR/ITCS I can't bypass it, but I can block the hoses??? I think??? What works best?

Also, does any one have a quaife or peloquin sitting around?
    Many more questions to come.

Thanks,
    Frank Rabb
    ITB GTI
    Atlanta Region

Leave the heater core alone. Have a defogger on those cold mornings is nice!

Originally posted by Bill Miller@Aug 14 2005, 01:22 PM
    Leave the heater core alone. Have a defogger on those cold mornings is nice!
    [snapback]58364[/snapback]
    Thanks for the GOOD sugestion, Bill. So - should I leave the "air box" (fan motor,etc.) and all the associated duct work in as well? Or is a forced air method good enough?

Frank Rabb
    ITB GTI
    Atlanta Region

Nothing like being able to turn on the defroster during a rainy race!! Or blow air on your face during a hot one. Even if you just use it on the grid or on yellow laps......
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Originally posted by stickman@Aug 15 2005, 01:57 AM
    Thanks for the GOOD sugestion, Bill. So - should I leave the "air box" (fan motor,etc.) and all the associated duct work in as well? Or is a forced air method good enough?

Frank Rabb
    ITB GTI
    Atlanta Region
    [snapback]58378[/snapback]
    If it's an A/C car, take the A/C bits out, but I'd leave the stock airbox and fan alone. It's not that much weight, and IMHO, the benefits of keeping it are worth it. And as Jeff pointed out, it's nice when it's rainy/foggy.

Originally posted by stickman@Aug 14 2005, 11:05 AM
    Hello, you guys are the best! I have started a MkII GTI ITB project, and have nearly completed a full stripping and will soon finish welding in the cage, so I will be turning the corner toward reconstruction soon. I hope to be race ready for a double drivers school in February. I have spent many hours reading your posts and they have been very helpful, as have a couple of vendors worth mentioning; BSI and Shine Racing.

What have you guys done with your heater cores? I know that by the GCR/ITCS I can't bypass it, but I can block the hoses??? I think??? What works best?

Also, does any one have a quaife or peloquin sitting around?
    Many more questions to come.

Thanks,
    Frank Rabb
    ITB GTI
    Atlanta Region
    [snapback]58361[/snapback]

As said already leave the core connected, and leave it for defogging online. I even taped off the footwell opening so the blower couldnt possibly blow on me.

As for a diff there are a few VW guys worth contacting for pricing if your after a peloquin. Peter at www.thescirocco.com or http://www.blackforestindustries.com/ both are running specials of sorts.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Frank

I have a Peloquin that is "sitting" here in Portland that would love a good home. It is only 5 races old.

E-mail me and we will talk.

Jon Bonforte
    [email protected]

Hi, Frank

I have everything for your car, shocks and diff etc;
    Email me for more information. [email protected] .

Mike.