Thread: DIY Tire Heat Cycling

Unhappy

Maybe this flash of brilliance is due to all of the recent summer heat or maybe it’s just because it’s a Friday? I also haven’t raced since the beginning of July so maybe that’s it? I’m sure this is a pretty silly idea but here it goes anyways…

I’ve been giving thought as to how I can heat cycle my tires. There are several reasons why I will continue to buy tires from the local Hoosier distributor including their contingency program, free mount & balance, much cheaper, ectcera versus having Tire Rack heat cycle them. I also don’t want to get into a discussion of why I can’t do it at the track. I am really hoping I can figure out a Do it at Home method. My first attempt was to take the car (was registered and insured) to a road that no longer has any open businesses on it and no homes near it. It also had a cul-de-sac where I attempted the roundly round method. Other then getting really dizzy and experiencing one other “minor” issue, it just didn’t get the tires hot enough. So on to the next idea.

From Tire Rack’s web site: “Looking at the heat cycling system, it positions a mounted and inflated tire between rollers which apply pressure while the tire is rolled up to speed. It is very important to note that this allows heat to be generated as a result of deflecting (stretching) the tire within its normal operating range. There is no "artificial" heat added (no oven, no forced air, etc).”

The Tire Rack method of heat cycling tires made me stop and think. Why couldn’t someone build a home version of this? Get a 5 hp engine, a little welding creativity, and metal rollers for the tires to be in contact with and voila! O.k. So maybe not quite that easy but like I said, it’s a Friday. It could be an interesting wintertime experiment.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

A subject near and dear to my heart, as I am awaiting delivery of a new set of Toyos to get me through the rest of the season. They're shaved, but not heat cycled (Vilven doesn't offer the service.)

Does anybody have any good ideas about the care and feeding of them? Right now it looks like I'll use them for a gentle morning practice, stash 'em away in the shade for the rest of the day, and hope and pray that's enough when it's time to run for the roses later in the day.

BTW - a search here didn't come up with any viable ideas.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

I've been a Toyo dealer since 1992 and have raced on Toyos since 1986 and what I like the most about the trusty RA-1 is it isn't all that picky. I've never heat cycled them, I just keep an eye on wear and juggle them around and they last forever.
    John Norris
    ITR E36 BMW "sprint car" & ITS E36 "enduro car"
    "I vas too fast for racing and too low for flying"
    Hans Stuck jr

One great thing about Toyos is they do not require a heat cycling. It is the only tire that I am aware of that doesn't. Very cool!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

No practical suggestions for you here. I long ago used up all my "good neighbor" points with test sessions. Apparently they didn't appreciated the residential street course I designed....

Dave,

Since you and I are both in CT, we have the new emissions laws....sooooo, here's a thought:

Instead of building something with a 5hp, use the cars motor...on one of those roller units at a DMV inspection station. Granted, you could probably build a similar set up (cost ~$200 in steel material) in a MUCH scaled down fashion.

Again, it is Friday, and I am showing negative productivity numbers today at the office.

Regards,
    Alan
    Alan Lourenco
    NER #78 ITB Audi Coupe GT

There's an easier way:

Make your DD the same car model as your racecar! Then, just slap the tires on the DD, go out for a drive in the "country" and, voila! heat cycled tires!
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Originally posted by gran racing@Aug 12 2005, 01:57 PM

The Tire Rack method of heat cycling tires made me stop and think. Why couldn’t someone build a home version of this? Get a 5 hp engine, a little welding creativity, and metal rollers for the tires to be in contact with and voila! O.k. So maybe not quite that easy but like I said, it’s a Friday. It could be an interesting wintertime experiment.
    [snapback]58303[/snapback]
    Sounds like an interesting idea. However, I can tell you with near complete certainty that a 5HP engine isn't going to cut it. More likely than not, you would need something on the order of a small block V8 to accurately replicate the forces, tire deflections, etc. experienced at the wheels.

~E.

I've got the daily driver thing working for me, but there's still another problem I see with this method. Per the latest info I've seen from Hoosier, you want to gradually step up the pace during your heat cycle session, until you're up to race pace (IIRC) for the last lap. I'm reluctant to drive this fast and hard on my DD anywhere but the test track...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Dick Elliott Guest

Stick the car on a dyno and heat cycle and tune at the same time.