Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to select generator size?

Originally posted by ITANorm@Aug 15 2005, 12:05 PM
    just make sure it has a diesel generator (NOT propane)!
    out of curiosity why is that?
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Propane is expensive and most RV's have a relatively small tank. Then the inconvienence of having to fill it, unless you have a trailor with removable tanks like a BBQ grill. Propane is cleaner, but the diesel motorhomes generally have at least a 75 gallon tank and the Onan 7500 averages 3/4 gallon per hour under load.
    Gregg, if the hurricanes come again, you jump in the motorcoach and hall azz up 75 or 95, taking the generator with ya. Then come back to what is remaining of your house and live in it. My new roof looks great!

Yeah - like he said . . ..

Most of the tracks I know of either have no RV electric hookups, or they tend to be inadequate.

Propane generators use ~1 gal/hr at moderate load. Most RV's have a propane tank somewhere in the 40 gallon range - of which only ~80% is usable (dunn'o why). So - even at moderate load, you'll get about 30 hours of generator use from a tank of propane. And when you're out of propane, NOTHING works - refrigerator, stove, electricity, hot water, nothing. A friend of mine who is a racer and is part owner of an RV dealership tested an RV with a propane generator (on their lot) just for grins. The result: with A/C and normal stuff running it ran out of fuel in 32 hours. That's an awfully short track weekend!

If OTOH, you have a diesel generator that uses ~.75 gal/hr and a 75 gallon capacity, it's more than good for a weekend at the track. Also, in HOT weather, you'll probably be running the generator while you're on the road. The dash air just can't cool a motorhome in >90* weather, so you end up using the roof air units.

FWIW, my motorhome has a 75 gallon diesel tank. On a typical Gateway trip, I normally refuel at Sikeston, MO, run the generator all the way up, camp for ~50 hours, run the generator all the way back, and refuel at Sikeston - total use for ~300 miles and ~55 hours' generator use is about ~55 gallons. Most (if not all) RV generator fuel pickups are situated at like 80% of tank capacity - so even if you run the generator out of fuel, you still have 50 - 100 miles of fuel left to get back to a station.

One thing that was touched on breifly...quality of CLEAN power. The coleman units won't run a computer because the power is too dirty...i.e. too much AC bleed through....don't ask me how I know. The smaller Honda units are electronics friendly. The smallest you want if you want power tools and an air conditioning unit for the inclosed trailer is 5k. (BTW, 750w/hp) Better choice is the larger 6500 Honda electric start water cooled with wheels/handle for aroung 2750 delivered most places. Our region just bought one for the solo 2 program. It runs the timing equipment, laptops, air unit on the trailer, etc. and runs about 6 hours with that load on 4 gals of gas. I have had the same generator for about 10 years and mine has had probably 1000 gals. of gas through it with only one trip for service..still has the original plugs. Honda power equipment is grossly overengineered...but it if you can possibly afford it because it will be the last unit you will need Good luck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!