Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Summit Point – Labor Day Weekend Double

Originally posted by lateapex911@Sep 6 2005, 03:39 PM
    Or because there are 4 handsome Rx-7s in ONE picture!?
    [snapback]59727[/snapback]
    By the end of the Sunday race there weren't many "handsome" Spec RX-7's left in the paddock. I was surprised by their on-track antics when I drove Spank's ITC Civic at MARRS 7, but their bashfests in Saturday qualifying and in Sunday's race were two of the ugliest sessions I have ever seen. As I was only a spectator, I'll let some of the ITC drivers comment if they so desire.

[hypocrite mode=on]Although I got through the weekend without spinning or exiting the track in a spectacular way, I was not contact-free over the weekend and feel pretty crappy about it. Thankfully those I did come into contact with were very understanding people.[hypocrite mode=off]

That said, I'd like to thank the Northern boys for coming down and putting on a great show (Ray ran faster at Summit after one weekend than I've ever run there in three years), Kirk Dohne for giving me the race of my life on Sunday (5 lead changes), Brett for letting that happen :119:, Brantly's mom for feeding me all the rabbit food I could eat, Brett for his encouraging words in impound on Monday, and Brett for absolutely destroying the track record on Sunday (so that I can stop pushing to try and break it), James for donating a vehicle that gets more than 6mpg for my late-nite transmission run for Brad, Dave & Terri for not charging me the late cancellation fee at the hotel, and Big John for (1) helping me get the car back together, (2) pointing out how many bent radius rods I possess, and (3) being the "sane" voice on the radio both days.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Originally posted by Gregg@Sep 6 2005, 08:10 PM
    By the end of the Sunday race there weren't many "handsome" Spec RX-7's left in the paddock. I was surprised by their on-track antics when I drove Spank's ITC Civic at MARRS 7, but their bashfests in Saturday qualifying and in Sunday's race were two of the ugliest sessions I have ever seen. As I was only a spectator, I'll let some of the ITC drivers comment if they so desire.

[hypocrite mode=on]Although I got through the weekend without spinning or exiting the track in a spectacular way, I was not contact-free over the weekend and feel pretty crappy about it. Thankfully those I did come into contact with were very understanding people.[hypocrite mode=off]

That said, I'd like to thank the Northern boys for coming down and putting on a great show (Ray ran faster at Summit after one weekend than I've ever run there in three years), Kirk Dohne for giving me the race of my life on Sunday (5 lead changes), Brett for letting that happen :119:, Brantly's mom for feeding me all the rabbit food I could eat, Brett for his encouraging words in impound on Monday, and Brett for absolutely destroying the track record on Sunday (so that I can stop pushing to try and break it), James for donating a vehicle that gets more than 6mpg for my late-nite transmission run for Brad, Dave & Terri for not charging me the late cancellation fee at the hotel, and Big John for (1) helping me get the car back together, (2) pointing out how many bent radius rods I possess, and (3) being the "sane" voice on the radio both days.
    [snapback]59730[/snapback]
    Sure Gregg, leave me out...
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Originally posted by lateapex911@Sep 6 2005, 03:39 PM
    Why is that Dave, because you are going around the outside of that wheel locking Civic, or......

Or because there are 4 handsome Rx-7s in ONE picture!?
    [snapback]59727[/snapback]
    Actually I wrote that I like the picture, and that was because I was the one making the pass in the Honda. I believe that I got the RX-7 going into 6B

Saturday's race was definitly an exciting one. I had a hell of a run through the carousel through the entire race (3 passes on teh outside of 5, 2 or 3 on the inside, and 3 cross over passes through 6a and . The RX-7s made things interesting Saturday and fun on Sunday. Definitly had an awesome time, up until a little incident in 3 on the last lap, but the car is in one piece, I'm in one piece, and I didn't lose any ground in the points. All in all a successful weekend.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Gregg, I never should have studied the video you posted here from your 4/24 race!! Or at least I shouldn’t have made a sequel move. When I watched your video originally, I thought how did he do that? On Monday after qualifying third in ITB, I found out in the same exact spot. It really stinks watching 40 cars drive by while just sitting there. Too bad, I was really starting to get the track. But at the same time I was extremely lucky to have people help me out as much as they did otherwise I never would have gotten out on the track. Very cool stuff.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Just be glad I didn't post the video of me flipping three times in T10. :119:

It was nice meeting you this weekend, Dave.

Originally posted by gran racing@Sep 6 2005, 08:54 PM
    Gregg, I never should have studied the video you posted here from your 4/24 race!! Or at least I shouldn’t have made a sequel move. When I watched your video originally, I thought how did he do that? On Monday after qualifying third in ITB, I found out in the same exact spot. It really stinks watching 40 cars drive by while just sitting there. Too bad, I was really starting to get the track. But at the same time I was extremely lucky to have people help me out as much as they did otherwise I never would have gotten out on the track. Very cool stuff.
    [snapback]59740[/snapback]
    "I was 4th!! " - Dave Gran? 9/5/05
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

Originally posted by EV@Sep 6 2005, 04:38 PM
    Sure Gregg, leave me out...
    [snapback]59735[/snapback]
    Ooops. Thanks for being the Chief of EV, Bill. You had a very busy weekend.

Oh, and thanks for the advice too.

EV worked their tails off this weekend. I have never worked or attended a labor day weekend due to work and social commitments and holy cow was I surprised to see how racing is on this day. I know some groups mix it up all the time (yes I know all the nicknames) but this was seriously one of the worst weekends I have seen in a very long time.

At the same time there was some very exciting and mostly clean racing going on out there. I watched Gregg power slide through 5 countless amounts of times as he chased down Brett on Monday. Sunday was really exciting watching Gregg and Kirk go back and forth as well as greggs james bond style of passing cars.

I can't wait tp watch MARSS10 and be in the 06 season as I watch you all fly past my point by.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Originally posted by RP Performance@Sep 6 2005, 11:50 AM
    Thanks Bill, It was a good weekend overall. My spin on Sunday just made me put my head down and drive the wheels off the car trying to get back to get a good points finish and the record lower. Don't forget Bill that the car is for sale and I will be posting an ad in the classified section soon. Maybe I will build a 1.8 for next year?
    [snapback]59683[/snapback]

Brett, I have a car started, but don't know if it will be ready by MARRS X or not. Why are you selling yours and building an ITS Miata?

Bill

Originally posted by ITAMiata@Sep 6 2005, 09:32 PM
    ........and building an ITS Miata?

Bill
    [snapback]59760[/snapback]
    It is up for a class change to ITA at 2380 lbs, IIRC.......
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Originally posted by lateapex911@Sep 7 2005, 01:42 AM
    It is up for a class change to ITA at 2380 lbs, IIRC.......
    [snapback]59762[/snapback]

Has this been approved?

Bill

Here is a recap of my first trip to Summit. It started off with finding a paddock spot. We(Kim and I) circled the joint about three times going through every nook and cranny, up into the woods, down some trails, said hello to Gregg and Brett, until we just finally gave up and went back outside of the track. Took a breather and decided to try again. Soon as we got in, some guy flags us down and asked if we needed some paddock space. We said yup and followed him into the woods where he pointed out a gigantuous spot right next to him, in the shade mind you. That was just unbelievable. Big thanks to Jim Mills for being so courteous.
    Left the track that evening and got lost going to Shoneys but eventually got there. Sat qualifiers were cool. The only time I've seen the course was on Jake fishers website, one lap of the point video. (I never knew there were actual elevation changes until someone told me the day before so we walked the track on Fri nite.)
    Some sort of grid was set up for the first qualifier and I ended up a few cars from the tailend of the field. Within a few laps some of the faster cars came zooming by so I just tagged along try to pick up as much pointers as I could. Qualified fifth with a 1:30.208. Second qualifier grid was set by the times from the first qualifier so I got to start up front with the Summit regulars (That be you Gregg, Brett, Kirk,etc) I ended up qualifying 3rd with a 1:29.293. Anyway, thats boring stuff.
    Dinner on Sat nite was steak sandwiches, a real kick a$$ broccoli salad, some fixins, and cookies for desert. Really good stuff. Later, a few beers with Chris Humphrey, Vooo(Chris' crew guy), and Dave Youngren and we all stopped over by Brets party and had some dialog. So the night ended and I didn't have to work on any RX-7's.
    Sunday morning, Dunkin donuts coffee and a sandwich and it's off to the track at a leisurely pace since we were group five. Now back to some racing. Off we go down the front straight. Picked up one spot through T1. Going into T3 ...Holy Crap! Brett loses it and off he goes into the weeds. Now I'm in third but I just couldn't hang with Greg and Kirk. I could only catch up when they started to tangle with each other but I had a few go's at it. I finish in third and felt that I would have a legitimate shot for a win if had some new skins (that would be tires for the racing challenged). so, as soon as the wheels on the car cooled off, I yanked them off and threw them in the back of the Burban and its off to see the Hoosier dudes. Circled the paddock twice and just couldn't seem to find them so I pulled over and asked some dude sporting a Hoosier shirt. Hoosier dudes were outta there. I said WHAT? Sheeot man! Thats no good.(No further comment on the Hoosier dudes at this time.) I guess my not so old tires will have to do. Now back to the fun stuff.
    Dinner Sun nite, banging baked chicken, scalloped potatoes, all sorts of fixins and some kind of pastry for desert. Again, great stuff. I went back in line for seconds and the woman serving was asking each person, "would you like a breast?" The choice was breast or theigh. My turn came and when she asked , I guess she didn't hear my answer, yes. Then she said " which one" and I kind of gave her a dumbfounded look and she raised her brow and said,"breast or theigh?" I said OH!
    I thought when you said which one I thought you meant left or right. Y'all had to be there as everyone nearby had a good chuckle out of that one. So back to camp for a few more beers another great evening and no work to be done on an RX-.... dang It! here comes Chris H. and Dave Y. each with a big smile. I check out Chrises car, blown motor but they already knew that. Of course, since everyone at SP and the entire West Virginia area are sooooo nice, someone went home to pick up a motor for Chris so that he could race the next day. A few more Coronas and an hour or so later (I have done nothing but drink beer up to this point) I asked Chris if the motor was ready to come out of the car and he said yep. What are the chances of getting an engine hoist? He said the dude that is bringing the engine is also bringing a hoist. Now that dude in my opinion is waaaaay cool. A first gen RX-7 pulls up and here is John(I never got his last name but he drives a red SRX7.) the redneck and I say that because at some point during the engine swap, he said so himself " I aim a redneck" loud and proud. Funny guy and waaaay cool. Anyhow, the engine swap was completed Mon morning and when Kimmie and I rolled in, they were trying to get the motor running. Eventually, John was able to get it running but it was suffering from an incurable oil leak. Chris decided not to race and risk oiling down the track. A very sportsmanlike decision. However, Chris did race as John let him use his SRX7 for the ITA race and John had his own race later that day. Man! All this love at the Track. Back to racing. Mondays race was mostly spent chasing down Kirk Dohne in a Nissan 240sx. Gregg G. and Brett D took off and was never to be seen again. I managed to pass Kirk and on the last lap as we were headed towards the checquered flag I had to put a Wendell Holmes size block on him in order to keep him behind me. Kirk. Please, no hard feelings about that. We live to race another day. I did have some metal to metal contact with Don Wenner(71 Monza) I tried a few bumps to try and move him but my little Integra was not going to move the Monza anyhow but I did use him as a guardrail when I went sliding through the grass and it's true what he said. Eight wheels turn better than four No real damage was done. We each had a donut to take home. Overall good race and for the most part, very good pointbys from lapped traffic. Third place it was again best lap time, 1:28.151.

I really did have a great weekend and thanks to :
    Washington D.C. Region
    O.G Racing
    Shoneys ( their showers rock)
    Kim Samson (super crew chick who some of you met)
    and I did my part for the Childrens Burn Camp.
    Ray Lee Chee
    rleechee at comcast.net
    Oxford, Ct

[quote]
    Brett, I have a car started, but don't know if it will be ready by MARRS X or not. Why are you selling yours and building an ITS Miata?

Bill
    [

Bill I am pretty sure that your car has a lot to be done still. Not sure if you have seen it but the roll cage is rusted real bad and will need to be sanded before you can paint it. I only planned on running my car for one year just to show that it can win and can be fast. As far as I have heard the 1.8 has been approved already for ITA next year. I will most likely go to SM nationals for next year. If anyone is looking for championship winning car let me know.
    Bret de Pedro
    RP Performance
    304-728-6749
    MARRS 2005 ITA Champion
    Summit Point 12 hour SM 1st place
    2004,2005,2006 SSM 2007
    Ask about our SM rentals
    and trackside support

Originally posted by Gregg@Sep 6 2005, 09:14 PM
    Ooops. Thanks for being the Chief of EV, Bill. You had a very busy weekend.

Oh, and thanks for the advice too.
    [snapback]59744[/snapback]
    Okay Gregg... Hey, at least you didn't need the 60 lbs clevis this time!!
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Hes saving that for his end of season race :119:
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Hey Guys
    What a weekend. I had to take Tuesday off to fully recover. Terri and Porsche were beat too. A big thanks to everyone who came out and made the OG Racing MARRS Labor Day double a huge success. The charity drive raised almost $25000.00 for the Mid Atlantic Burn Camp.

For those of you that don't know, Harry McMahon (Formula Vee driver) had a heart attack in his paddock spot after the group seven (FV, F5) race on Monday. He was taken to Jefferson Memorial Hospital and then airlifted to Winchester. Emergency surgery was performed on Monday night. The doctors are "cautiously optimistic". I wish the best, fast recovery for Harry and his family.

Now the racing. I knew it was going to be a bizarre weekend when the SRX7 field was going to have 36 cars, many of which had not raced all year. I qualified 37th overall and 6th in class for Sundays race. I had the left inner cv joint break during the out lap in afternoon qualifying. That left me stranded at the T7 flag station and with NO TIME for Monday's race.

Sunday's race was a BLOODBATH. I cannot believe that no one got killed. A large percentage of the SRX7 drivers chose to leave their brains and any common sense behind when the green flag flew. There were over SIXTY calls on the flaggers radio net for contact and crashes. One SRX7 driver Dale Weisert (SRX7 #2) was involved in no less than FIVE metal to metal contacts. Dale caused the three car crash in T9 that resulted in the near destruction of Roger Troxell's ITC civic and another SRX7 to limp up to pit in and onto the trailer for home. Dale then proceeded to hit Rob Hines twice in the carosel. Several laps later Dale hit me in T5 (see the picture here http://www.baked.net/~crash/gallery/.../DSCN4243).The officials NEVER showed him the black flag. Dale was not the only SRX7 involved in some stupid shit out there. There was carnage everywhere. I was in third place in ITC at about lap five or six, and the stupidity that was going on in front of me was scary. I did not want to get caught up in the idiocy going on around me so i just kept hangin back, and lost third and fourth to braver souls than myself. Spanky passed me for fifth on the last lap with a stellar inside pass in T5 . At that point I just wanted the race to be over. After the race the Chief Steward and the Operating Steward called all the drivers to Black Flag to tell us what a shitty race we had. The Chief Steward stated that they had car numbers of the offenders but they never mentioned any of them, even though we asked them to, they just said we were ALL bad. I ran into Dale Weisert at the beer party and talked with him about what happened on the track and what he was thinking during the race. He looked me square in the eyes and told me that he did not think he did anything wrong. It took all of my self control to not deck him. I did my best to explain to him that the GCR does not allow contact and that he really was way out of line in his on track behavoir.
    Don't get me wrong, there are some really good drivers in SRX7, I would share the track with any of the top ten guys any day. But there was some really sketchy moves coming from the middle and back of the pack. And the officials did NOTHING!!!!

Monday's race was better, but with no qualifying time I started in the back and finished off the podium. But was considerably less scared than the day before.

I am glad that everyone enjoyed the food and hospitality. Please support the people that support your events. As busy as we were in the track store all weekend I know that you guys and gals are.

I have very mixed feelings about whether I will participate in MARRS 10. The drivers and the officials need to do something about the rough and dangerous driving. And you guys call me "dangerous".

cheers
    "dangerous" dave parker
    wdcr ITC#97
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Are lap times for Monday's race posted anywhere? Will they be on mylaps.com?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Unfortunately not. It seems our T&S people choose to instead put the information on one of the most visually displeasing formats you can imagine on a home-made site.

Although they don't appear to be up yet, you'll be able to find them at:

http://www.offtotheraces.net/timecards.html

Originally posted by dave parker@Sep 7 2005, 01:39 PM
    A large percentage of the SRX7 drivers chose to leave their brains and any common sense behind when the green flag flew. There were over SIXTY calls on the flaggers radio net for contact and crashes.
    [snapback]59819[/snapback]
    Funny that you should bring up the SRX7 fiasco - that's exactly what I said to a friend as I was walking back to my paddock from Medical. "I went out in the wrong group - I think I went out with SRX7s instead of ITA..."
    Haz-Matt Racing

Originally posted by Gregg@Sep 7 2005, 08:55 PM
    Unfortunately not. It seems our T&S people choose to instead put the information on one of the most visually displeasing formats you can imagine on a home-made site.

Although they don't appear to be up yet, you'll be able to find them at:

http://www.offtotheraces.net/timecards.html
    [snapback]59827[/snapback]
    The timing system used by WDC is not compatible with mylaps I have heard .

It's nice of them you go though the effort to put it out somewhere don't you think?
    Enjoy,
    Bill