Thread: 240sx - Oil in the intake???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the responses.

There is oil coming from the seam between the two intakes. When I took the upper intake off, it appears that the gasket was torn (well, it's torn now, but if that was from removing or if it already was is hard to know for sure). So, I'm guessing that is where some air was getting sucked in. If oil can leak out, air can leak in.

I'm going to vent the breather to a catch can and see how much is coming out. I'm wondering if on WOT there is enough of a draw/vacuum through the vent tube to draw oil from the top of the head (mostly from splashing around the valves and such).

Of course, I'm always looking for other causes, as the obvious one is not necessarily the correct one.

I'll try a leak down test, if/when I can find the right tools.

Oh, and I have about 6 race weekends on this motor (maybe 5-6 hours).

Jeremy
    "It's a fact..."

Originally posted by 7racing@Aug 10 2005, 01:30 PM
    I'm wondering if on WOT there is enough of a draw/vacuum through the vent tube to draw oil from the top of the head (mostly from splashing around the valves and such).
    Yet another reason to use the catch can.

It's been a while since I poked around, but isn't there another black-box type PCV/vent on the engine? It's somewhere underneath where the water temp sending units are, but it's an opening on the front cover of the engine.

Like I said, I don't remember where it comes/goes as OEM, but we have two hoses T'd to the catch can: that one from underneath, and the one from the valve cover.

Good luck,
    Michael