Originally posted by mcovello@Aug 22 2005, 12:15 AM
Jeremy, it sounds to me like you've got excessive blow by due to broken piston ring lands. This occurs when the engine goes lean and you have severe detonation. If you have gotten a leak down tester you'll know right away if this is your problem. Good luck with this- it took me a long time to fix this issue on my KA24DE. Mike
[snapback]58754[/snapback]
Hmmm.....

I haven't done a leak down test yet (don't have the tools, need a shop, yadda, yadda, yadda....). I went to the races over the past weekend. I ran a catch can from the valve cover breather and I changed the upper intake and gasket. The original problem of overheating/loss of power went away and I was able to run my previous best time at the track. In the 17 lap race on a drying track I won the race and didn't have any problems.

There is some oil in the catch can, so there is some blow by, but it seems to be worse in left hand turns. Made for some extra smoke in the oval before finding the original catch can fell apart and leaked oil all over the place. Oops.

I'm still not sure if there is a problem. Eventually I'll get a leak down test done and see what the results of that are. Probably won't happen for a few weeks though (vacation the next week and racing 9/10-9/11). So far, so good!

Jeremy