Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kettle Moraine Regional 8/13&8/14

Originally posted by planet6racing@Aug 18 2005, 02:07 PM
    I think, next time, Ben, you should ask to see the calibration certificates for the scales. IIRC, there is a method according to the GCR that is supposed to be used to insure that the scales are performing, in their location, properly.

I heard many complaints about the scales...
    [snapback]58586[/snapback]
    Either the scales themselves can be certified or a certified test weight can be used. He is the kicker: the test weight has to be a minimum 250lbs for an individual scale or 750lbs for a platform set up. Now we all know that these are individual scales that only measure 2 wheels at a time. So we, would need 250lbs to test each scale correct? I saw tech only put 1 weight on it to check the scale and 1 guy lifted it with 1 hand. Does not sound like 250lbs to me.
    I should know my rules better but, since I'm over weight most of the time I'm not concerned as much as I should be.
    I just got info the below on Tue:
    How about this. At the Chicago race at Autobahn the track owners kid drove his ATV through the tech area and wiped out the scale control head. They are suppose to replace it with a new unit. Was this the damaged unit they used or a back up set of scales that is no good?

Bob

Well what was I thinking, I should of protested! Where were you guys when I needed it!

Past owner of an ITA RX7

Originally posted by benracin@Aug 19 2005, 12:23 PM
    Well what was I thinking, I should of protested! Where were you guys when I needed it!

[snapback]58634[/snapback]
    The problem with protesting the scales is that they"are the official scales of the event". I do not not recall anyone ever winning a protest against scales. I could be wrong though. Thoughts?

Bob

If it were me, my first question would have been calibration.

As Bob eluded to earlier, they are supposed to, at a minimum, verify the scales with a 250 lbm weight. Here's what the GCR has to say:

11.3.3 Official Scales

A. The scales at the event are the official scales for the event. The times when they are available shall be published in the Supplemental Regulations so drivers may compare their cars weight to the official measurement.

B. Individual scale pads that weigh a single wheel are preferrable. Platform scales, or individual scales that weigh one axle (two wheels) at a time, are acceptable. Scales or test weights shall be certified.

11.3.4 Certification
    The Scales shall be certified by:

A. On-site certification by a commercial scale service within ninety (90) days prior to the event, OR

B. Use at the track of certification weights, minimum 250 pounds total for individual wheel scales and minimum 750 pounds total for platform scales.
    Based on that, I would have, at a minimum, asked to see the verification record and asked to have the scales re-verified at that time. If either of these could not have been done (especially the former), I would have protested the scales. Of course, seeing as how I'm a test engineer and get these types of questions all the time, I may be pickier than the average person, but I still would have done it!
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

It would of been cool to do all that. I did have one thing going against me though, that it was the end of the day and my protest would keep thousands of starving workers from the chicken for 30 minutes. I'm sure I'd be burned at the stake or served for dinner for that. Over all though I still feel like I got 3rd, I just don't have the little trophy for it. Not like I'm in a championship or something.

I did get weighed 3 times though, once backwards, and I did see them put "some" weights on the scales. Who knows. That part that concerned me the most was when you add 30 pounds of weight and end up with the scales saying you added 50. If I was smart I should of asked for the lead filled bottle of "gatoraid" while I was sitting there the first time.
    Past owner of an ITA RX7