Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carb heat insulator plastic thingy

Well David, if you're willing to bring your carb, go ahead and bring it buddy. I'm starting to realize that all the stress I'm feeling wondering if this carb will work or not could easily be taken care of by just trying something else and seeing where I need to go. Might be the closest thing I can get to driving an actual well prepared car! So if you're willing to bring it on over I promise I'll treat it extra nice for you. I'll even let you drink some of our beer! None of my race car driver beer though. That's where I keep my top secret go go juice.

Bill and I are having trouble making up our mind where we'll be camping, but if I have my way we'll be through the paddock and pits and take a right at the fancy bathrooms and head down the hill. My crazy ass van should catch your view by then. I won't turn down your EGT gauge either.

We'll be on the road tomorrow. Safe weekend and happy racing everyone! Since I've taken a lot of info here I'll be sure to post some results when it's all over, if David lets me. I'll probably make half of it up anyway.
    Past owner of an ITA RX7

David:

I'm assuming Ben is putting you on his list, but if not, I'd be happy to put you on mine. You'd still have to pay the $10 (using all the free ones on the girlfriend and her family), but at least you'd have a way in.

Let me know. We probably won't be paddocked near Ben, btw.
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Ben, I'll bring the carb & the EGT gauge with thermocouples. I'll find the supps & get there by gate opening time.

Have a safe trip.

Jake, I'll find the thread & post it under this thread.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Bill, that works.

Thanks ; )
    David

ps:

*** Bill and I are having trouble making up our mind where we'll be camping,***

*** We probably won't be paddocked near Ben, btw***

Are the two of you brothers ?
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Jake, following is the site with the "Class the LP RX7" thread. There are 12 pages of stuff. The ain't they legal stuff is by Matt & the ain't they illegal stuff is by Hap Waldrop.

http://www.coloradoscca.org/prodcar/ General Discussion/Class the LP RX7

A second thread which would be of interest to you is the following.

http://www.coloradoscca.org/prodcar/ Race Reports/Post Deleated

Before this post was deleated the Senior Kraftson was posting some interesting stuff about the Senior Cefalo at the Pocono Double. Kraftson deleated this a.m.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

I hate when posts get deleted! I have NO idea what is going on with that one..

It's a good thing that the Prod site requires that you wait for admin approval before allowing you to post so I can cool down!

I will say this...there are a lot of reasons that I WOULD like to race in a national category, such as prod, and there are lots of reasons I would NOT like to as well.

Guys like Basil Adams with his elitist and totally self serving attitude, amongst others are HUGE reasons NOT to get involved. Their total unreasonableness paints their fellow prod drivers in a terrible light. They make so little sense sometimes.....the central big picture point gets stomped all over.

Guys like Matt Weisberg just love the fray, but fail to provide the real facts..he just seems to get all fired up...ADHD stuff! Sadly his claims are based on things that just aint so, and it costs him a lot of integrity.

Honestly, present company excluded, Joe Harlan seems to have a big picture viewpoint and is better balanced.

The idea has merit, but there seems to be some real philosophical issues among the players.

It is ridiculous to fall for the "too fast for X class" argument...just add weight!

I like the idea of the stock motor, clutch, brakes, IT suspension, maybe a carb..basically an IT7/A car with slicks, with the required Prod items in prod...keeping it simple stupid...LOL

I really think more cars would come out, be able to race without spending buckets of money, and have fun. But it seems like those that have cars don't like the idea of other guys being abkle to do the same thing cheaper, or simpler. I came away from that thread with a real sense of "we're better than you" attitude.........

I thought more people racing, having fun, and not spending buckets of money was one of the cornerstones of the SCCA...the place Americans go to CLUB race....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Originally posted by lateapex911@Aug 12 2005, 10:38 PM

Guys like Basil Adams with his elitist and totally self serving attitude, amongst others are HUGE reasons NOT to get involved.

I came away from that thread with a real sense of "we're better than you" attitude.........

Jake,
    You need to be more respectful of you betters.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Jake, I read your posts on the Prod site this a.m. & it's really nice to see someone write the way I feel towards there (Production traditionalsists) attitudes. Now, have a TALL cool one & relax. Your new best friend (Basil) will continue with his know it all what's best for Production attitude while his British tin top sites idle in a garage someplace. Or more correctly stated in his type words. The car is garaged at the ranch....... & Bob & Matt (one of your other best friends) will help him out.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

so, Ben, David was ther a resolution to this?
    Last weekend I found myself battling this issue...
    Two weekend ago, the egts were higher thna normal, on a hotter day thna normal. I didn't think much about it, I bumped the FP a bit and swapped in some bigger jets (+5 in primary and 10 in secondary from "normal"). This got me back to my preferred EGT range.

Fast forward to this past weekend, and my EGTs were out of control again,on an even hotter day. Went up 10 in both rimary and secondary. I'm now reptty far from my preferred setup thant dyno`d so nicely.

I've checked the insulator, the fuel pressure, the exhaust mounting, etc....
    thoughts?

Marcus
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Marcus, on Sat. Ben installed my 1900* EGT gauge & found his temps to be 1700* & 1750*. On Sun. he installed my carb, reg, gauge, ran as fast as he ever had (1st time on a track this year). but the motor died in the loooong 180* R.H. turn/fuel gauge went to zero. Both pick ups were at the right hand side of car. He has a two pump/two pick up system with no check valves. His crew would not allow disconnecting one fule pump/pick up so they filled the tank full :119: for the race & finished second.

It was a successful weekend for Ben.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

***I'm now reptty far from my preferred setup thant dyno`d so nicely.***

***I've checked the insulator, the fuel pressure, the exhaust mounting, etc....
    thoughts?***

Marcus, my questions would be:

A. During the two different days & the 1st day temp higher than normal & the 2nd day the temps higher than the 1st day what were the air temps & what were the exhaust temps, water temp, oil temp ?

B. Were your lap times impacted by these temps ?

C. Was the air temp the only difference from the previous time at the track ? (is your air intake bringing in engine bay air or outside outside engine bay air ?)

D. What did your plugs look like ?

The high temp situation has never been an issue for me. We have temps fron 50* in the spring & fall to 100* with high humidity in summer. If this high temp issue bit me in the ass & my lap times were ok or not ok I would try some cooler plugs. When Kart racing the hot/cold plugs make an enormous difference with no carb changes. But at the same time I would adjust the Kart carb full throttle needle valve while racing. Lean out of corners & fat going into corners.

Thoughts from others who have tried cooler plugs under same conditions as Marcus has ?
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

For mine I think all the checking and double checking of the gasket surfaces and all those little emissions holes paid off. Back when all these problems occured the car was slow as heck. No power at all. I couldn't even accelerate in 5th gear. So before this last race I checked and checked and checked those surfaces. I ended up going with a nice thin layer of gasket maker on the insulater and no real gaskets. I changed some plastic/rubber caps that looked iffy and something, not sure what, did the trick. On Saturday I used my carb and the car had power again.

Since my EGT gauge wasn't able to show high temps before all this fixing I'm really not sure what got fixed. I just know that after all the stuff I did the temps were 1700 and 1650 and more importantly, the power was back, big time. I think I'm actually running pretty rich!
    Past owner of an ITA RX7

Originally posted by ddewhurst@Sep 7 2005, 09:26 AM
    ***I'm now reptty far from my preferred setup thant dyno`d so nicely.***

***I've checked the insulator, the fuel pressure, the exhaust mounting, etc....
    thoughts?***
    damn, my typing sucks.
    Marcus, my questions would be:

A. During the two different days & the 1st day temp higher than normal & the 2nd day the temps higher than the 1st day what were the air temps & what were the exhaust temps, water temp, oil temp ?
    Day one - normal jetting, water ran 195, oil about the same, outside air temps were ~80 degrees laptimes were good.
    Day two - air temp ~90 degrees, EGTs +50 degrees no read on water/oil (I wasn't driving- it was pulling teeth to get him to look at the EGTs.)- jetted up 5p/10s increased fuel pressure 1/4 pound- water ran 200, oil similar (is normal for the car), EGTs back to normal. laptimes inconsequential.
    Day three - air temp 100 degrees, EGTs +100 from normal, water 210, oil 210, this was run without the stock clutch fan I normally run (I'm weird)- lap times inconclusive, as I was learing the track. Jetted up 10p/10s, EGTs back in line, water temps stayed between 195 and 210 the rest of the weekend, oil similar, with and without the fan.
    Its all wholly inconclusive, based on the data I have. To top it off, its only going to be in the 70's this weekend, and a chance of rain Sunday.
    B. Were your lap times impacted by these temps ?
    see above, inconclusive
    C. Was the air temp the only difference from the previous time at the track ? (is your air intake bringing in engine bay air or outside outside engine bay air ?)
    good question, the only other change was the addition of a screen covering my bumper moutned air inlet, however that was in place all three days, and would serve to restrict airflow, causing a richened concditon and lower EGTs, I'd think.
    D. What did your plugs look like ?
    Good and black; pretty normal for a pro7.... I did change plugs this past weekend, as the others had 6 hours on them. The car felt good and strong... but, was post the rejetting to get my EGTs right.
    The high temp situation has never been an issue for me. We have temps fron 50* in the spring & fall to 100* with high humidity in summer. If this high temp issue bit me in the ass & my lap times were ok or not ok I would try some cooler plugs. When Kart racing the hot/cold plugs make an enormous difference with no carb changes. But at the same time I would adjust the Kart carb full throttle needle valve while racing. Lean out of corners & fat going into corners.
    Dave Lemon recommended a single plug and not varying from it, but he said the same thing about jetting.
    Thoughts from others who have tried cooler plugs under same conditions as Marcus has ?
    [snapback]59813[/snapback]
    I'd love to hear it

Marcus
    Marcus

*sigh*

Back to my normal jetting, at my normal track ( Thunderhill raceway in Willows, CA)
    in cooler weather ( mid 70's) and my EGT's were back to "normal"

I give up.
    Marcus
    Marcus

My .02 worth...

IF YOU ARE A SERIOUS 1ST GEN RACER I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD MAKE A NOTE OF THIS COMPANY...

Tom & Betty Dragoun - http://www.sevensonly.com/

I know this will sound like an advertisement but please know that I have no relationship with this company other than being a VERY satisfied customer.

Sevens Only is a full service race shop specializing in Mazda race cars. They are located at Buttonwillow Race Park in California. Everything I have purchased from them has arrived very well packaged and shipping costs are no more than anywhere else.

I own an '83 ITA/7 RX7 which is raced (not often enough due to time constraints) in SCCA MIDIV (car #33). After I purchased the car I needed a carb rebuild. Couldn't get YAW to return my calls and after some serious looking I stumbled across Sevens Only. They promised a rebuilt carb that would be as good or better than YAW's and I'm convinced they did it (in about three weeks). They also sold me many jets for less than $10 per set, and spent an incredible amount of time on the phone with me getting it perfect (including ESPECIALLY race weekends). They are ALWAYS friendly and professional. Tom is a wealth of info about 1st Gens and if he isn't available he has staff in the shop who have been very able to answer any question I might have.

Re EGT's...

If your EGT gauge pegs at 1700, then you may not be getting a correct max temp reading. You need to spend the money (about $300 or less for two) and buy digital readout gauges. Your motor is worth it. Mine are Sigtronics EGT-101 which I of course purchase from Sevens Only. The price included much helpful phone assistance in getting them installed correctly and instructing me about how to adjust jets based on readings.

FINALLY, I'm attempting to attach a photo of my car (yellow/blue #33). If it does not post properly please forgive me. I'm unsure of how this works.

Regards,
    Scott Goble
    #33 IT7 MIDIV

Scott Goble
    Ozark Mountain Region
    Nixa, MO
    [email protected]
    (417) 848-7584

Originally posted by ishod@Sep 14 2005, 07:11 PM
    My .02 worth...

IF YOU ARE A SERIOUS 1ST GEN RACER I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD MAKE A NOTE OF THIS COMPANY...

Tom & Betty Dragoun - http://www.sevensonly.com/
    I love Tom and Bette! (Okay, Eric too....)
    My ITA car is at Tom's shop getting a cage... and actually, here some of the crew with it, getting it started to move it into the shop and work on the cage:
    http://images.miller-motorsports.com...5/P9040137.JPG

If you look closely at my BRP event pics, you will see Tom in many of them.
    http://images.miller-motorsports.com/Defau...?fldr=brp090405

Marcus

Marcus

Alright, what's going on here. My car is the 1983 yellow and blue #33. Different division though.

Past owner of an ITA RX7