So the steering on my E350 is pretty funky. I've told people that it's scary to which they reply oh it's probably just loose like an old truck. Then they take a turn in the seat and after a couple white knuckle miles finally admit that yes, it is scary, it's possessed.

I don't think it's going to fall apart or anything and if you're going under 35mph you don't even notice, but pick up the speed and get ready for some fun. It's much like sawing at the wheel of an old tractor.

What it feels like to me is that one wheel is allowed to rotate a bit as it pleases causing the van to steer side to side as it sees fit. A different tilt to the road, or horizontal breeze or just a change in the alignment of the stars causes the van to change directions. So while you're driving down the highway you're busy correcting the van over and over again. You want to go straight, van wants to take a left, you steer right a bit. Van wants to go right, you steer left a bit, and repeat. Add a trailer to this mix and you have some serious fun. It doesn't pull to the side, it doesn't just wander a bit, it wants to turn. Getting passed by a Semi is also fun.

It has a king pin front end which I'm told might be the problem, but I'm not really sure of how that all works. I know that if it requires work on the king pin it's to the shop it goes. What I'm wondering is if anyone else any experience with this and if it's something other than the king pin and it's something I can fix. If it is the king pin, what do I tell the shop to look for? I don't want to take it to the shop, have them just tighten up the steering and say there you go because I'm almost certain that's not it.

Any experience with wacky wandering fords out there? Please don't make me the only person on my crew who can drive the 7 hours back home after 2 races earlier that day.