Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering on old vans - 89 E350

Originally posted by benracin:
    She has brand new tires
    Did the new tires make the problem worse/better/no change?

I have a '92 E350, it only has 56K on it (Motorhome used 15x per year) so I haven't got to the point where wear is an issue.

I did have some funky tracking when I used different brand steering and drive tires. Heavy trucks do it, but my little RV didn't like it. Went back to the same tread pattern front and rear and no more goofyness.

Originally posted by benracin:
    [B]She's my wife now, I should be able to put her to work right?
    /B]

My wife loves to tell the story of when she was 6 months pregnant I made her lift the nose of my 944 so I could get the floor jack under it!!

Hey, she only needed to lift it a couple of inches..........

Side note: From the looks of things, I think we need to start a "ugliest tow vehicle" contest........

------------------
    Jeff L
    #74 ITB GTi

best part about it is that the extended roof helps it slice through the wind. Actually improves down force as well as gas mileage and top speed. ][/QUOTE]

A little off subject, but. In the 70's,(anyone remember the 70's?) Car and Driver did some testing on improving gas miliage on a Dodge van. Spoilers, covering the grill area, etc. They found the absolute best results were when they removed the "West Coast Mirrors". Simple but very effective. Come to think of it, I've raced against alot of guys who seem to never have used their mirrors anyway, actually, every day on my way to work, I think alot of folks do not use their mirrors! Good luck.

Ben:

She should have no problems moving it. Afterall, if it is like mine, it's got that giant dead spot in the middle where you can just go back and forth and the van keeps going straight!

I was driving mine around last night (just checking to make sure it all works before I sell it) and checked what was going on. Mine felt like it was all in the steering box. It's not too bad if I'm not towing, but...

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

All the tires are new and the same tread. I can't remember if it got worse or better with the new tires. I'm going to guess it got just a little bit worse. I've been asking this question on a ford-trucks forum and one recommendation there was to pump everything up with grease (they just might be dry) and see if that cures anything. I'm actually starting to lean towards the steering box sadly enough. I wasn't able to get it jacked up last night and give it a shake down so I'll do that before I run out buying steering boxes.

As for the ugliest van contest? I'm all in baby. What I really need is a pair of ox horns to put on the hood, a semi horn, and of course, "back off" mud flaps. Looks like it's JC whitney time.

Best two bumper stickers I saw/heard about on vans:

1. Don't laugh, your daughter may be inside

2. Free Candy

Back in the 90's I used a '79 G20 Hippie Van complete with Day-Glo shag on the walls, 10 inch wide mags, and fender flares. I had it parked at the dealership that I was working at the time, the service manager walked past it and stopped. He had this glazed look in his eyes and said "Dude I know I smoked pot in that thing during high school."

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...I think we need to start a \"ugliest tow vehicle\" contest...</font>
    You're not calling the Yellow Terror ugly, now are you? That truck has CHARACTER. Whenever I told someone to "meet me at the yellow van" there was rarely any problems finding me in the paddock.

I've since replaced it with a staid, boring, sterile white van. Wife likes the looks better, I don't (YAAWWWNNN!!!) "Meet me at the white van" just doesn't have the same panache... - GA

ball joints ball joints ball joints ball joints ball joints ball joints ball joints ball joints ball joints ball joints

Ask me how my carerra drove with worn out ones... just like an E350!!! HAHAHAHAH

All this talk about ball joints. E350's ain't got'em!

Back to the ugly van talk.

We started towing witha van called the RATTLESTAR it was 1982 e150 w/ 2.73 gears and 15k plus when we got it!! What a pig It was a big ugly blue tin can!!! Then Chris got a 1992 E350 w a 460 in it agggh! That bugger would pas anything but the gas stations!!! Glenn

I love how I'm able to walk into mine and stand straight up. Makes driver suit changes a piece of cake. Now if only I could walk out on the wheel chair lift and have fireworks go off to some loud ACDC. What a driver intro that would be. To bad only the 4 people camping with me could take part in it. What would be really awesome is if I could line up the wheel chair lift with the door to the race car. I could just walk out and slide in. I think I'm onto something.

WARNING: Short Joke Coming!

Ben:

You could stand in a regualar van! You don't need anything that tall!

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

I don't know if you're allowed to make van jokes, since you're selling yours! Traitor!

Gentlemen, I give you GIGANTOR....

http://www.nogumracing.com/karl/images/van.jpg

1988 E350 7.3L IDI diesel. There is no "Where did I park?" question when this thing sticks up almost 7-1/2 feet in the air. Notice the hood of the van relative to the roof of the SE-R.

It also steers like a drunken cow. It&#39;s also FOR SALE (contact me if interested). I probably should do ball joints and bushings on it.

Matt - if you can find ball joints on that thing, have at it ro replace them. You&#39;ll probably need a left handed monkey wrench to get them out with, and special striped grease to replace them.

Hey - I know that Sentra!
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Hey - I know that Sentra!
    If one is good, two must be better.....

as a retired ITC guy I read a lot of posts but yours prompted me to register. I don&#39;t know what kind of suspension you have under your E-350 but I have the twin I beam front end with king pins. All your caster is in the king pins - caster gives you the on center feel you are looking for. if the king pins drag you lose the benefit of the king pins caster. When you hit a bump with one wheel the truck wioll feel like it is stering out from under you. The first step to take is grease the king pins - From the sound of it you probably have never done this so it may be hard to get them to take grease. I f you prevail it will solve your problem - guaranteed.
    You may need the other components everyone is talking about ( except for the ball joints) but grease alone will be a magic cure. Sometimes there is too much advice.