Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on towing with minivan?

I've been looking at Trailblazers lately... the extended version (EXT) has a longer wheelbase. They also come in 2wd versions, they can also be had with a 4.2 straight 6 or a 5.3 v8.

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/specifications/

with the inline 6 the "max trailer weight" depends on the "axle ratio" and the two wheel drive version can handle about 200 more lbs.

4.10 = 6,400 and the max GCWR is 11,000

Just something I've been considering since the suburban is absurd to use as a second "car".
    [/b]
    I'd bet that the MPG figures GM lists for the Trailblazer are not with that 4.10 rear that you'd need for towing.

A 1/2 ton 5.3L Suburban with the 3.42 rear is rated for 7500 lbs towing and gets within a few MPG of what's listed for the Trailblazer.

When all's said and done I wonder how different the fuel economy really is.

-Bob

Bob, I'd stick with the Suburban... that way you can fit more stuff in there. I've always laughed at the rather meager differences between the midsize and fullsize trucks in terms of fuel economy. Your avatar image is cool! LOL! Will you be at Warminster next Sat. This is the last of the winter series. It'd be a good shake out for the car! Joe
    JOESELLSVW
    ITB 37 MARRS
    [email protected]

Or get the 5.3. But going to Atlanta from New England is asking a lot of it if you have an enclosed trailer. (For instance) Think in terms of 10mpg in that mode. More of course with an open trailer, and my truck breaks 20 on the highway towing nothing!
    The 5.3 would be ok with an open, and will work, but barely with an enclosed. Still iit's much better than the 318 in my old crack van!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Man.... I'd like to see that Minivan come down the hill from Watkins Glen! ;^)

That'd be good for business!

~E.

~E.
    [/b]
    Ahhh..the hill with the funeral home at the bottom?

(I have a story about that one, LOL)
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Yeah the more I research and talk to people the more I'm leaning towards keeping the Suburban and just buying a beater for a second car.

Though I still think the EXT would be a better option then a Mini-van.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah the more I research and talk to people the more I'm leaning towards keeping the Suburban and just buying a beater for a second car.

Though I still think the EXT would be a better option then a Mini-van.

Just my 2 cents.
    [/b]
    Just for reference - the rotors on the Trailblazer (EXT) are 1.5" larger diameter (325mm), than the Grand Caravan AWD ones... ..the (newer) 3/4 Ton (4x4) Suburban rotors weight 2X as much - and are a whopping 38mm thick!

~E.

Probably too many paint fumes on edit...
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I'd bet that the MPG figures GM lists for the Trailblazer are not with that 4.10 rear that you'd need for towing.

A 1/2 ton 5.3L Suburban with the 3.42 rear is rated for 7500 lbs towing and gets within a few MPG of what's listed for the Trailblazer.

When all's said and done I wonder how different the fuel economy really is.

-Bob
    [/b]
    I hear you on this one. I get about the same mileage towing with a 95 GMC Vandura 2500, w/TBI 350 that I did towing with an 00 Jeep Cherokee 4 liter. I just carry more stuff and don't feel like I am walking a tigh-rope while doing it.

Chris
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Jake Fisher's Pathfinder idea is a very good one depending on what you're towing.

The mini-van...guess it could be done but not so sure you'll want to keep using it over the long term.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

~E.
    [/b]

Going down hill isn't a problem as trailers have brakes too...It's going uphill I don't like with my van, it has enough power, just too afraid to use it in fear of the transmission exploding.
    Driver School: Complete (April 2007)
    Regional License requirements: Complete (June 2007)
    Race Car: Renting, started building my own
    First Win: TBD (3rd in Pumpkin enduro! ITA)

A good transmission cooler and temp gauge is what you need to address those issues man. at least then you will keep it cool and know when its working too hard.

--
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

A good transmission cooler and temp gauge is what you need to address those issues man. at least then you will keep it cool and know when its working too hard.

[/b]
    I have a cooler of course, and the proper fluid. I have been considering a temp gauge as it's super easy to install.
    Driver School: Complete (April 2007)
    Regional License requirements: Complete (June 2007)
    Race Car: Renting, started building my own
    First Win: TBD (3rd in Pumpkin enduro! ITA)

piece of mind is always a good thing with towing. My titan has one from the factory and unlike OEM vw gauges they seem to move often so I put some trust into them.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

I think a temp guage would be a worthy addition to my truck, which does have a stock cooler. Any suggestions as to a make and model?

What is the best way to install it? I have a GMC Sierra, 2001 1500 with the tow/haul feature.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Go with whatever gauge you trust. Autometer, VDO, XXX.

Just like oil temps, trans temps should be around the same. The most common installs is either drilling/bung welding in the pan. Others want to know the extreme temps and go inline from the trans to the cooler. If you have it some use the pressure port to get a mean temp of the transmission as a whole.

I don't know vehical specific. The only time I have installed is on ford vans so as I added the better cooler I installed the gauge on the transmission outlet. Was amazed to know how much heat I could build up heading into northern NY with a small 12x6 trailer packed with MX bikes would create.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Just curious about gas (fuel) mileage. What mileage do you people get,at what speeds,towing what kind of trailer and est. weight with what tow vehicle. I guess I'll go First. I tow an open trailer with a Golf(3000#Total) at a speed of 65-70mph. I'm currently using a IH Traverall with a 345ci V-8 Auto. It grunts up Black Mt. (45mph) but will tow 75mph on flat stable as can be with good braking. My mileage is alot to be desired. I get from 5.9 to 7.8mpg depending on the hills. I would like to get better but can't see putting 20 g's into a racecar tow vehicle. Any ideas? I did have a 1 ton gas van the last time in racing and it got about 11mpg but was UGLY.

Tim
    97 ITB Golf

Original setup was old 1/2 ton V8 van, lightweight and terribly built open trailer carrying a 1350# car. Trailer had lt truck tires. I probably went thru more tires on the van and trailer than the race car...rarely made trips further than 4 hours without at least one shreaded tire from split belts. Obviously I carried waaay too much in the van(s). Often couldn't hear the blowouts cause the van was so loud, and kept trying to drown out the noise with the radio. I think I sort of specialized in loud, ugly, high mileage towing vans, eventually owning at least 4, but they generally got about 12-13 mpg at 70.

Next, better trailer, could carry more than the car on it. Led to more blown trailer tires than van tires.

Next up, 3/4 ton'84 Suburban with a 4 bbl. Wopping 6mpg. Never blew 'Burb tires out, learned about meaty, beefy, big, and bouncy. Eventually got a '93 Burb, 10-12 mpg. Woohoo!

"Graduated" to Ford dually with 454 and 22' enclosed. Back to 6-7mpg, and the pig wouldn't even go up hills at the speed limit. Learned to hate that truck, but have to admit I never blew a tire in it - and they were Firestone ATX!

Bit the bullet and went the conspicuous consumption route....new Chevy dually with 8.1 gasser. Gas prices have curbed many of my bad habits, learning to tow at 60 mph, and getting about 9.5-10 mpg as a result (about 8.5 when old bad habits return). Nice and quiet, very comfortable, can go up hills at 90 if I want to, and I actually arrive at the track almost relaxed. Well, as relaxed as I can be considering it took me an extra hour to get there.

Maybe I should go back to an open trailer and only race at my local track unless/until the gas prices come down...

I get about 13 towing. Thats the golf at 2300#, trailer is around 1300#, and I would say about 500# in stuff in the car or bed of the truck. I have an 05 titan though.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

I get between 12 and 14 mi/gal towing a 20' Wells Cargo enclosed with my Z and maybe 1Klbs of junk in it. Trailer is heavy, manufacturer specs it at 3200lbs empty. Truck is a 97 F350 crew cab 4x4 PSD with 165,000 miles on the clock. I usually run at 70 on the highway, at 75+ mileage deteriorates to around 10-11.

Going up long hills my speed will slip to 60 or so. On really long hills (Raton pass, 8000+ feet) I have to downshift to 4th, speed drops to 50 or so.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion