It's time for me to replace my trusty old Suburban, and I'm trying to decide if I really need another Burb or can get away with a minivan - as a friend indicates that his Chrysler minivan (AWD w/ 3.8 and load-leveling susp) can handle up to 4400lbs. My trailer and car together are 4000. Budget fits the 99-01 Burbs, anything up to around $16k.

Requirements:
- AWD - it's my winter transportation, and I prefer AWD
- seats plenty in comfort (4 min, 6 is better) - a pickup with extended cab isn't good enough IMO, for traveling distances with friends
- ABS (a given, no problem)
- tow capacity of 4000lbs min
- cargo capacity of Burb equivalent with seats out - cause I have an open trailer, and all of my gear goes in the back of the tow vehicle.

Would prefer the mileage and driving dynamics of a minivan when not towing. I'd also prefer the ease of parking - my driveway is very short, and my Burb hangs over the sidewalk when parked in the driveway. I'd expect an extended cab pickup with full bed to have the same problem.

Does this make sense, to think that I could use one of these AWD Chrysler minivans (probably an 00-02) to haul such a load? Is it the load-leveling suspension that gives it the added boost in capacity?

I'm certainly not about to buy an enclosed trailer, so no need for the 3/4-ton Burb anytime soon.

------------------
Vaughan Scott
Detroit Region #280052
'79 924 #77 ITB/GTS1
www.vaughanscott.com