Over the years I've towed lightweight cars on open trailers (about 3000#) up to heavier cars in enclosed trailers (up to 8000#). I've used station wagons, vans, truks, and 'burbs. In addition to the brake issues mentioned already, the biggest problems I've found or seen others suffer thru involve suspension problems, followed by transmission failures. Within a few years the springs sag even towing far less than rated capacity. I know of more than 10 people who have had transmission failures while towing. I've also had problem swith tire blow-outs, but that's probably due to tongue weight combined with too much cargo. One question is how far do you tow, and how often? How many large hills and mountains in between? If your typical tow is an hour or maybe two, with only minor hills, than you might be able to get away with a minivan. If you tow 4-5 hours on the PA turnpike, while carrying alot of heavy cargo, I wouldn't recommend it. My favorite dual purpose vehicle was a Suburban. My second favorite is a truck with a cap. For your purposes, I would think most any mid-sized crew cab with a cap, including the Nissan and Toyota, could handle the job well and still be a reasonable daily driver. They'd probably get better mileage than the 'burb too.