Thread: Thoughts on towing with minivan?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've been looking at Trailblazers lately... the extended version (EXT) has a longer wheelbase. They also come in 2wd versions, they can also be had with a 4.2 straight 6 or a 5.3 v8.

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/specifications/

with the inline 6 the "max trailer weight" depends on the "axle ratio" and the two wheel drive version can handle about 200 more lbs.

4.10 = 6,400 and the max GCWR is 11,000

Just something I've been considering since the suburban is absurd to use as a second "car".

I've been looking at Trailblazers lately... the extended version (EXT) has a longer wheelbase. They also come in 2wd versions, they can also be had with a 4.2 straight 6 or a 5.3 v8.

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/specifications/

with the inline 6 the "max trailer weight" depends on the "axle ratio" and the two wheel drive version can handle about 200 more lbs.

4.10 = 6,400 and the max GCWR is 11,000

Just something I've been considering since the suburban is absurd to use as a second "car".
    [/b]
    I'd bet that the MPG figures GM lists for the Trailblazer are not with that 4.10 rear that you'd need for towing.

A 1/2 ton 5.3L Suburban with the 3.42 rear is rated for 7500 lbs towing and gets within a few MPG of what's listed for the Trailblazer.

When all's said and done I wonder how different the fuel economy really is.

-Bob

I'd bet that the MPG figures GM lists for the Trailblazer are not with that 4.10 rear that you'd need for towing.

A 1/2 ton 5.3L Suburban with the 3.42 rear is rated for 7500 lbs towing and gets within a few MPG of what's listed for the Trailblazer.

When all's said and done I wonder how different the fuel economy really is.

-Bob
    [/b]
    I hear you on this one. I get about the same mileage towing with a 95 GMC Vandura 2500, w/TBI 350 that I did towing with an 00 Jeep Cherokee 4 liter. I just carry more stuff and don't feel like I am walking a tigh-rope while doing it.

Chris
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com