Originally posted by johng:
It sure would suck if the thing tore out from the wall and bounced around inside until I stop to unload.
Yep, it sure does!

I can tell you how not to install one .

On edit--ooops forgot to tell you how not to. Don't use sheet metal screws into the wall beams. I made my rack of lightweight aluminum. I used the largest diameter self tapping sheet metal screws I could get that were still short enough to go through the 3/8" plywood walls and the wall beams without piercing the outer trailer skin. I tied into every wall beam (16" on center) along the length of the rack, screws 6" apart vertically. I only had 8 lightweight ULFF Panasports w/Hoosier slicks, Combined tire and wheel weight might have been 140 pounds. I weigh 165 and was able to do chinups on the thing. So I felt safe.

Then one day...I drive over a speed bump in a parking lot and hear "something" in the trailer crash. Not cool. Pull off into a couple of spaces and open the side door. Aluminum tire rack and tires into the body of my brand new 13-month frame up Crossle Formula Ford restoration!

H-beams with load bars is the only way to go. Unless you are fortunate enough to have 4 lightweight Formula Vee tires/wheels that you can stack in a corner 2' diameter 2' high . They are so cute 5.5" wide tires on 4.5" rims made from a 12 pack of recycled aluminum cans.

[This message has been edited by Daryl DeArman (edited January 27, 2005).]