Well, it's time to start thinking seriously about a new tow vehicle. While the van has worked out well, the engine is getting tired and I'm flirting with the maximum capacity of the whole thing.

So, I'm shopping for a diesel truck. This will not be my daily driver. In my price range, I have a pretty broad selection of trucks, including diesel duallys. I had the pleasure of test driving one of these the other day and was amazed at how stable it was on the road (well, compared to my wandering van) and how nice and quiet the interior was (too bad the truck was 2' too long overall, otherwise this might be a moot point).

However, on the flip side, I've heard from a few people that, if they had to do it again, they would not get a dually. They gave their reasons why, but I'd like to hear some opinions from the IT board as well.

Additionally, I know the trucks come in different configurations. My main question is, can you pull a gooseneck trailer with a short box (i.e. 6')? If I got a diesel with an extended cab and 6' box, I could fit it just fine and it would be more than capable of pulling my current trailer, but I would like to consider upgrading to an enclosed and possibly to the gooseneck, so I'd like to get a truck that gave me that option.

Thanks for the help!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

[This message has been edited by planet6racing (edited November 17, 2004).]