Thread: VW Touareg ??????

Default VW Touareg ??????

Does anyone have any experience towing with the VW Touareg??
    I have seen online that the V6 model is rated @ 7,700 towing capacity. Which should be plenty for my set up!!!
    But wanted to know about real world experience towing a racecar with one.
    Even for a diehard VW fan this sounds too good to be true.
    The V8 and V10 are also rated at the same capacity so that kind of makes me wonder if this would work.

Thanks in advance
    Stay safe
    Matt Bal

Once a VW guy, always a VW guy. Someday someone will invent a pill to cure you of this Mattie-my-boy!

In my experiece with the Ford and Chevy stuff, the tow rating is more realted to the chassis than to the engine. I have seen more powerful engines in 'lesser' chassis (like F250 vs. F350) that show a lower tow rating.

At that level of need, I think the real consideration would be wheelbase and stability.

Come home soon.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    ITS RX-7 & Spec Miata 1.6 (ITA project)
    New England Region R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

I have not done any towing with the T-reg, but have spent a fair amount of seat time in the V8 and V10 trucks. I liked both, but was blown away by the tdi.

The bottom line is that it is a heavy vehicle and I personally would not count on towing regularly with the VR6. I mean at 5000+ for just the truck, imagine how anemic accelleration will be with the added load of a trailer. The VR6 will likely go up to 3.6 liters soon which should help.

You could really feel the mass of the vehicle when driving the V8 unladen, but not to the point that it feels like a hinderance - just an awareness of inertia I guess. It has plenty of power to consider towing with it.

The way expensive tdi is mind blowing. Just plain fast, smooth and comfortable. Drove cross country getting 25mpg on the highway one weekend. Spent about 250 miles in a Continental GT that same weekend, and honestly was more impressed with the VW.

I think that a V6 tdi would be an awesome choice - pulling the new 3 liter unit currently in use in Audi's in Europe. I don't need the crushing accelleration of the V10, although it is cool, and would appreciate the even better fuel economy with likely V8 competitive torque.

From what I hear, it tows very well.

Here are a couple of discussion threads from Touareg forum on vwvortex.com:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1090768

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1565426

There are a lot more threads on towing with the Touareg.

I considered one, but bought the EuroVan instead since it met my needs.

Oh, by all means, get the thing....but....with the 8.

Serious peice of kit. Way better built than the average GM product. A frien tows his 911 on an open with the 8 and says it never drops a gear in teh hills around Lime Rock.

And its pretty sweet inside.

The 10 is the engine of the new century, but the $ is a serious deal breaker.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

shwah,

I'd have to go back and look, but I didn't think they were using the VR6, but rather the V6 from the B5 Passat / A4. When I first heard of the V10 TDI, I figured "Now there's the ultimate tow vehicle" (being as I'm also a die-hard VW guy). As Jake said though, the price premium is a deal breaker. I'd love to see a V6 version here in the states, but I think it'll be a couple of years. I've heard the V8 should be more than up to the task, especially w/ an open trailer. I just figured that w/ a 24' enclosed, the V10 TDI is probably the better choice for me. Although, even at 25mpg (I imagine towing it would be under 20), w/ diesel prices hitting $2.25/gallon (more than Super) around here, w/ no end in site, it would take a very loooonnnngggg time to make back the premium on the TDI over the V8.

Andy,

While I agree w/ you about the chassis, I think the major limiting factor on towing capacity is the rear axle ratio. My HD 25000 GMC has like 1200 - 1500 # difference between the 4.10 and the 3.73, all else being equal.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

My understanding is that they are using the 3.2 VR as seen in the R32, TT, Euro Phaeton, T-reg and Porsche.

I will double check that.

Thanks All for the input,

AB, Funny you should mention it the F250 was “MY” first choice wish I could get Kim to drive a F250/350 as a daily driver.

Scott, Thanks for the Vortex link. I had stopped going there a while back and completely forgot about it. they had some good info.

Jake, I think I may have to go with a 6 due to the dual purpose of the vehicle …. But your right the V10 would be great. If not for the COST…

Here is another question for you guys. Would a dealer let you go for a test drive with a trailer on the thing????

Thanks again for all the help. I will let you know what “we” decide. (As if I have a real choice in this) I can only guide her

Matt

Originally posted by 67ITB:
    Jake, I think I may have to go with a 6 due to the dual purpose of the vehicle …. But your right the V10 would be great. If not for the COST…

Matt
    Matt- You want the 10.

She wants the 6.

10 +6 + 16
    16 divided by 2 (of you!) = 8

Get the V8.

Compromise is key. The math is easy.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Jake you are a wise man!!!!! Thanks for the advice on compromise
    After talking to a fellow VW Guru we opted to stay away from the Touareg due to computer & other issues

In a strange sort of compromise I got my F250 W/Power Stroke (a few years old) as a tow vehicle, and she gets a 2005 Audi A4 wagon (2.0T 6sp)
    We are both smiling from this deal!!!!!!! I finally get my Diesel tow vehicle!

Now I will have to start to work on a compromise for the enclosed trailer for when I get back

Thanks for all the advice

Matt Bal

Matt Bal

Man you made out great on that deal! Much better choice for a tow vehicle than a Treg.

Congrats.

Chris

I'll bet the 2x4s and 2x10s that go into an addition will equal the cost of an enclosed trailer.

(I once had a client come in looking to buy a media room. He told me what he wanted, but wouldn't mention $. There's a lot of range on a high end media room. I noticed his wife was wearing a watch/tennis bracelet COVERED in diamonds. I complimented her on it. She smiled brightly, and said that her husband had just gotten it for her. He gave me "the look"...the look that said "I am trading a watch for a room"

I guessed the watch was $70K. He got a $70K media room.

Later we chuckled over the trades made in life.)

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

In my neighborhood, I pulled up next to a clean black T-reg with the V8 towing an empty car trailer. Said to myself "Hmm, wonder what he tows". Then I saw the 'BMW Racing' sticker.

Bah!

At least it wasn't an X5...

PJ

------------------
    83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB