Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Class C Diesel?

Lots of good data here. The only thing I will add is this. Don't buy too small. Most go for a class C because they think the size makes them easier to drive...(WRONG) I bought a 22ft class A for my first RV and towing was a joke 454 with 24ft box trailer and 4 to 6 MPG and the thing was working overtime all the time. I bought it because I figured small enough to move around easy.
    My current on is a 1995 33ft Monaco DP, tows likw a dream and yes it could be faster up mountains but who cares i'll go fast when I get there. I get between 9 and 11 MPG most always and have seen a little higher if I drive conservative. I walked in on the right day and made the right deal and drive out under 50K. The only negative so far is the LP generator but I am planning on changing that over to diesel next spring. Also remember there are other benefits to owning a coach good financing and you can write them off as a second home.

Looks like there will be a few more diesel Class C's on the market like the Endura.
    Jayco has one on their web-site now with an available diesel.
    Four Winds also has the FunMover if you want room to take the four wheelers in the back of the coach...

Prices of the available Class C's (base models)looks like it's gonna be on the high side of 100K new... almost better off finding a used Haulmark toterhome. At least with a toter, you have plenty of towing capacity.

[This message has been edited by 2Many Z's (edited November 17, 2004).]

Norm, you are right. The limiting factor is the transmission. In that year, Allison had a contract with "the" government for thousands of transmissions, so the RV industry suffered a bit. I would think the conversion to the T3000 or the old World 3060 or current MH3000, both 6 speeds, could be done, but not very cost effective in IMHO. Then you could take your Cummins right up to 300+hp and 675+ft-lb. But you would never have the torque (towing) of the 8.3,like Chuck's. Is yours a 24 valve?, at this moment I can't remember what the 5.9 was in 2001, too much red haze after the ARRC, I guess.
    Joe, I agree with you about buying a too small coach. The number one mistake first time buyers seem to make is buying one too small. As you all should know, the more you use your coach, the smaller it gets. The Ford F-54 chassis with the V-10 and the Workhorse W22/W24 have a much better cramp angle and will make a smaller turning radias than any equal size class C, thus easier to manuever in tight spots (plus no roof overhang to crunch...ahhumm!), heavier rearends and stronger frames make A's better for towing also. The earlier Chevy's have stamped steel frames, hardly any towing capacity at all. The only real advantage to a C over an A, IMHO again, is more sleeping areas, in my buddy's old Dodgesomething class C, our tires stack perfectly in the shower!
    David
    ITC 510
    USST Silverado

------------------