Well I managed to get by with my Jeep Cherokee for a while, but finally took the step of getting a dedicated race/tow vehicle.

Just picked up a 95 GMC 3/4ton conversion van. It has a tow package and 5.7 motor with the 3.45 rear end.

I was planning to add an additional trans cooler, but have been advised by some that just keeping it out of overdrive when towing will keep fluid temperatures in check. They also mentioned that for this reason the 3.45 final drive is a benefit over the also available 3.73 - keeps the rpms reasonable at highway speeds. Anyone else have experience/advice about that I should keep an eye on or consider adding/changing to keep this a reliable tow vehicle?

Just did a trans fluid/filter change, coolant flush, and all the basic stuff that you do when picking up a used vehicle (filters/fluids/plugs). I tow an ITB Golf with a small open trailer. I will be installing a brake controller shortly, and hope to change from the current single axle trailer to a tandem with brakes on both axles over the winter.

Seems to be in good shape for a 123k mile truck. I feel like it was a fair deal at $4200.

Really looking forward to the extra space and wheelbase when travelling to events next year.

Chris