Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tow vehicle - open bed truck or SUV

For local track hauling I use a 97 Dodge RAM Van 2500 Mark III Conversion. V6 Magnum that hauls an open trailer with no problems. Gets 15-20mpg loaded. Only paid $3200 (ebay) for it and I just use it mainly for racing. I removed the centre 2 seats and moved the rear bench seat up behind the front seats. then put down a heavy rubber cargo mat. Plently of lockable space for all the race gear, and out of the elements too. I've been using vans for going racing for over a decade - can't beat them and not much $$$ tied up. For longer hauls I use the motorhome....

After trying to use an old Bronco as a tow vehicle for several months, it got very tiring having the biggest worry of racing being getting to and from the event. I later found out that one of the 8 cyl. was bad which led to the lack of power.

I ended up consolidating including selling my beloved sports car (nothing that special but I had wanted it for many, many years). I thought it was really going to stink and I would regret doing this. But, I was very pleasently surprised. Insurance went down especially with less cars, repairs, taxes, ect.

I ended up buying a used V8 Toyota Tundra auto. (so it can tow 7,200 lbs). My wife loves it too! I would say it is really a cross between a car and a truck. Some of my friends told me that wasn't a "real" truck. But I don't have a problem with a comfortable ride. It also has an exhaust system on it, which makes it a bit more fun. The biggest problem I had was finding a used one at a decent price. They really hold their value. They also are very reliable! Check out Consumer Reports and some other magazines that rate it. If you want more room and can afford a new one, they came out with a nice crew cab that has plenty of room for 4 adults.

I like the idea of an enclosed trailer but I've been told by many that it is a pain to tow (visibility, weight, ect.). My friend is lucky enough to have an option to borrow either an alum. open trailer or an enclosed trailer and has a vehicle that can tow either one. He has never brought the enclosed one yet. And get a nice tent and air mattress if you want to sleep at the track. Don't get me wrong, the idea of an enclosed trailer does sound nice. But heck, an open trailer also sounds nice to me! (Still stuck using a tow dolly)

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

Good advice here on the tow cars. If I had the space to keep another car I'd do just what some of you have done - get a little older truck for not much money and use it. They can be plenty reliable. But, if I did that'd get KILLED at home. Hell, I might get killed anyway for swapping cars around so much. But, like I said, I didn't think I'd like the idea of racing so much but there you go. Got to do what you are drawn toward when it bites, life is too short.

Have to say that I agree with you on 4 wheel drive. We basically only have 1-2 days with snow down here and I can chain it or stay home, either way. Other than that it only rains. I don't off-road and don't pretend to, so, probably don't need 4 wheel drive.

The extended cab might be useful though. Seems a lot of trucks have them these days, even the half doors are sort of cool.

Anyone sleep in the bed of their truck? Seems like that would be nice - air matress, maybe a bed cover, should work?

Ron

------------------
    Ron
    http://www.gt40s.com
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited September 08, 2004).]

The Nissan Titan seems like another really nice truck...

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER #13 ITA
    '87 Honda Prelude

A couple of "different" ideas:

1) For something that works as a daily driver, consider a full-frame wagon with a big block. These are out of production so you will be shopping for a '90s Chevy Caprice or Buick equivalent. I know, I know, it sounds weird at first, but think about it. Properly equipped these things can pull substantial loads, have gobs of room, lots of creature comforts and are inexpensive.

2) For a dedicated hauler consider an RV. A friend picked up a small (very) used one for going to the track and keeps the trailer hooked up. I realize you can't swing this at home, Ron, but it is, IMHO, the perfect solution.

Gregg

I can add a don't. Don't use a Tahoe or something similar and an enclosed trailer. You'll regret it. Best scenario is 22 - 24' enclosed trailer with 2500-3500 pickup. If you really want to go the best route - dually with a gooseneck trailer. Nascar teams use Featherlite or Gold Rush. NHRA uses Classic. I'm really dreaming here though, for the price of a Featherlite or Gold Rush you could buy a used tractor / trailer rig.

My preferences are Classic Dominator, Pace Shadow GT, Haulmark Edge. And if you can afford a 24', do it. You can add cabinets and stuff that won't fit in a 20.

An enclosed is great when it rains. And you can change clothes in it. And sleep in it. Its hard to find a place to store it cheaply unless you have the right kind of yard and no neighborhood committee.

Tom

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">1) For something that works as a daily driver, consider a full-frame wagon with a big block. These are out of production so you will be shopping for a '90s Chevy Caprice or Buick equivalent. I know, I know, it sounds weird at first, but think about it. Properly equipped these things can pull substantial loads, have gobs of room, lots of creature =</font>
    Actually, this was my first thought!!!! But like you said they are out of production. Even went to www.stationwagon.com, a site that used to have a lot for sale - nice old ones too, but the site stopped in 2002. I used to have a Mercury wagon with a 460 (built to get rid of 70s smog crap) that would tow whatever was needed. Air shocks in the rear too. All I did was drag race it since it has a hand-me-down from my dad while I was in high school.

Older wagons in good shape are hard to get nowdays. And, even the big BuickRoadmaster of early 90s vintage don't hold a candle to the Vista Cruisers, etc. from the past.

What would really be cool is a Ford Ranchero with a 460. Might check on that, but the wife would kill me.

Keep the good ideas flowing!!

As for enclosed, I live in a neighbor that is pretty tight no no-go on storage for that thing. I'm going open and light for my first trailer - money and storage both dictate that.

------------------
    Ron
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica

Ron,

A quick search on traderonline.com yielded several late '90s Caprice wagons. Some even had faux wood panelling on the side. Oooooo!

Gregg

Originally posted by gsbaker:
    Ron,

A quick search on traderonline.com yielded several late '90s Caprice wagons. Some even had faux wood panelling on the side. Oooooo!

Gregg

ONLY the Buick Roadmasters had the LT1 350, the Chevy and Olds were 305s. 94-96 post more HP, and can be found with towing pkg including trans cooler and posi. Nice rides, last forever. NOT a lot of rear cargo height. I had one for a while, and the back floor is only about a foot or so below the bottom of the window.

They're still on my "I could use that car" list. Good MPG too. Some even turn them into a 'Impala SS' clone. Now if they could just cut the rear fender well up around the wheel they wouldn't be so terd ugly.

There's always this approach (last picture on the page) http://members.aol.com/lwolfracin/buick.html

------------------
    Steve
    [email protected]
    <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jake7140" TARGET=_blank>My racing page
    </A><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/elrss" TARGET=_blank>Elkhart Lake Racing_&_Sipping Society
    </A>

[This message has been edited by jake7140 (edited September 09, 2004).]

Now that is sweet!!!! And, it'd be cool to drive and take care of business. Plus, it wouldn't cost a fortune and it'd be fairly easy to take care of and modify.

I got an idea - I'm racing a 1974 so I should go all 74. Period 74 tow vehicle, trailer, 8 track, haircut, bellbottoms, etc!

------------------
    Ron
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited September 09, 2004).]

That's a hoot! And I like the bellbottom idea also.

Steve,

I'm not up to speed on the drivetrain options, but didn't the 400CID motor (small block casting with siamesed cylinders) find it's way into the Chevy wagon? Or do I have the years wrong?

Gregg

This would make a kicking tow car and driver:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/535969

The 429 can be taken out to 514 inches with no trouble. With a beefed up C6 you could tow anything needed I'd think.

R

------------------
    Ron
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica

Originally posted by gsbaker:
    That's a hoot! And I like the bellbottom idea also.

Steve,

I'm not up to speed on the drivetrain options, but didn't the 400CID motor (small block casting with siamesed cylinders) find it's way into the Chevy wagon? Or do I have the years wrong?

Gregg
    Maybe in someone's garage! But I think your years are wrong. I seem to remember that during the grim years (post 72 ish) when they started with the real square ones, they put just junk in them. Earlier they had the 350/400/455s in the big wagons with the cool stuff such as clamshell doors, etc. But starting in '91 (start of slick terd model)at least for the wagons, they went 305 for chev/olds, 350 (lt-1 for 94-96)for buick.

------------------
    Steve
    [email protected]
    <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jake7140" TARGET=_blank>My racing page
    </A><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/elrss" TARGET=_blank>Elkhart Lake Racing_&_Sipping Society
    </A>

I've been towing a 8x20 enclosed Pace trailer with an ITA Mazda RX7 and lots of spare parts and tires with a Chevy conversion van since 1998 without problems. The engine is 350 vortec. I take out the middle 2 seats. The rear bench is 3-part that you can sleep on lenghtwise. I seldom spring for a motel and my wife and I use the van for camping vacations. It really rides and drives just fine. It pulls the loaded trailer 75 mph without a problem and I don't need to go any faster than that. Enclosed trailers make a nice garage for storing the race car over the winter.

Jeff,

If you're getting 10 mpg out of a 454 Suburan, while you're towing, you're doing great! We pulled a 20' enclosed trailer w/ an EP RX7 to Road America las year w/ a 2500 Vortex 454 2WD Suburban, and the best we ever got was 7mpg. Most of the time, it was 6 - 6.5 mpg.

Ron,

I know a guy that has a mid-70's Pontiac Catalina wagon w/ a 455 in it. Passes everything but a gas station!

I'd love to have a V10 TDI Toureg as a tow vehicle, but I'd have to sell the race car and trailer (as well as the house) to be able to afford one. I wish VW would put that motor in a truck!!!!

For an open trailer, an F150 or a C/K 1500 is probably fine. Forget it w/ an enclosed trailer. The first year I had my 24' Haulmark, I used my '89 K1500 w/ a TBI 350 in it to tow. It was fine as long as the road was flat!

I'd go w/ either a Ford w/ a PS, or the 6.0 Chevy HD. Go w/ at least a 2500 (required w/ both of these engines). And you may want to rethink 4WD if you go to tracks w/ grass paddock areas. I've seen plenty of 2WD trucks get stuck trying to get out of a wet paddock.

Something else to consider, although not very common, would be something like an E250 van w/ a PS. You can order them that way, and used ones are out there (I've even heard of 4WD versions).

To me, the only way to go is enclosed trailer. No unloading everything when you get home. Makes a nice place to store the car, out of the weather. And it makes a nice place to crash at the track. I set up mine w/ a TV, VCR (need a cheap DVD), coffee pot, microwave/toaster oven, and plnety of lights. We've slept 4 people in there w/o any problems.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Bill,
    I went and drove a few trucks, the Ford, Dodge, and Toyotas. Man, the full size trucks are just too big to drive everyday. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm just one of those people that don't want a truck, but, my hobbies are starting to demand I have something like that.
    Ron

------------------
    Ron
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica

I looked at those Nissian Titans today - anyone have one of these? Seems nice, without the full 4 door cab not so big, and the interior is better than the Dodge and Chevys by far (new Ford is still really nice). Also seems like it would handle towing with no problem. Comments?

------------------
    Ron
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica

Ron,

Is it practical for you to have an extra vehicle that's just used for towing? If so, get a truck/van, and then get something else for a daily driver.

I don't really know anything about the Titans, excpet that I've seen a couple on the road.

------------------
    SCCA 279608

Bill, oddly enough I get 10 mpg towing or not towing. Now, I tow less weight thatn you (open trailer, 2500 lb car), but it still surprised me that I didn't get significantly less gas mileage with the trailer on the car.

In a year or so I am going to make the jump to the enclosed trailer. Will the 2500 454 Burb handle it ok?

Ron, a post of mine above disappeared. Something to consider with p/ups and SUVS like Range Rovers is wheel base. A short wheel base SUV is NO FUN to tow with (especially an underpowered one). Can you say swaying in the wind?

Jeff

Jeff,

That BBB (big-block 'burban) will handle that enclosed trailer just fine. We ran out I-80 at 75mph w/ the A/C on, and the truck didn't even blink.

------------------
    SCCA 279608