Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tow vehicle - open bed truck or SUV

I'm maxed out on cars, if one more shows up I'm divorced.

I have the Lotus for fun, same as Jeff. And I have the M3 I drive daily, with the JH and GT40 under construction. Garage is full, three are in the driveway, there is no way in hell another car is coming here. So, whatever I drive daily needs to tow this race car, no bones about it. I just want whatever I drive daily to be comfortable, of good quality, and handle towing/house duties.

Jeff, I've decided against SUVs. I'd need a large one to do the job, and, I don't want one that large as useful as they are. I like the open bed usefulness of a truck so that is what I'm leaning toward. I'm just trying to find one that meets critera:

1) Nice interior with good features - that is, seats, options, etc. as close to a high end sedan as I can get.
    2) Not so damn big.
    3) Not so damn tall, I'm only 5'8" on a good day.
    4) V8, on general principals
    5) No Bow Ties, on general principals
    6) It needs to last a long time

And I didn't mention towing because anything I'm considering with tow the JH and open trailer just fine. Heck, we use my dad's minivan to pull 3100lbs of boat just fine.

------------------
    Ron
    http://www.gt40s.com
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!

ron
    look at a V8 2 wheel drive dodge dakota. I loved my 99. posi, lots of tire, great at highway speeds and would tow 6500 pounds. as long as you stay with an open trailer it will work fine. I now have a 3/4 ton hemi 4x4 so i can plow snow and tow mt enclosed trailer but i sure miss the smaller truck
    dick patullo

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    Jeff,

I'd love to have a V10 TDI Toureg as a tow vehicle, but I'd have to sell the race car and trailer (as well as the house) to be able to afford one. I wish VW would put that motor in a truck!!!!

Hey Bill, go to www.VW.com. Under models is a link to their concept vehicles. Check out the AAC.

------------------
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT
    Parked till '06

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited September 20, 2004).]

I just bought a new Chevy silvardo, 2x4, 5.7l, extended cab short bed pickup (2004).

It has decent options (tow package, 7600lbs, Trac control, Limited Slip, CD, power seat, and such). It cost about $23,000 with GM rebates. It drives well, rides well and gets about 14/19.

I like driving trucks everyday. I like being able to see over the traffic. I like having my bumper up around everyone elses winshield. I think it helps me get respect from all the idiots in little cars zipping in and out of traffic!

Anyone ever consider renting a truck/RV or whatever? I've thought about it since I'd only tow about 15 times a year tops. But its nice to have a truck for all the grunt work.

Tom

Originally posted by Tom Donnelly:
    Anyone ever consider renting a truck/RV or whatever? I've thought about it since I'd only tow about 15 times a year tops. But its nice to have a truck for all the grunt work.

Tom
    Tom,

Renting an RV makes a lot of sense for an occasional race weekend. We've done it for football games and such, but never towed anything. Our last rental was a 28' with a V10.

A 3-day weekend rental is about $250-300. Even if you do it once a month it's pretty attractive compared to lease/loan payments for a dedicated tow vehicle--and it has all the creature comforts.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Originally posted by apr67:
    I just bought a new Chevy silvardo, 2x4, 5.7l, extended cab short bed pickup (2004).

It has decent options (tow package, 7600lbs, Trac control, Limited Slip, CD, power seat, and such). It cost about $23,000 with GM rebates. It drives well, rides well and gets about 14/19.

I like driving trucks everyday. I like being able to see over the traffic. I like having my bumper up around everyone elses winshield. I think it helps me get respect from all the idiots in little cars zipping in and out of traffic!
    I thought Chevy quit offering the 350/5.7 2 years ago???

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Misstyped.

5.3l

Well, much as some might hate to hear it I think I've selected a truck I'll go with, a Lightning.

A buddy of mine hooked me up with Ford's A Plan pricing (he's my father now, for the week) and the prices make a new Ford truck the same as a 2-3 year old used one. Since I have to use this thing every day to communte the fun to drive factors highly into my decision and the Lightning can tow enough as well.

While only factory rated at 5000lbs the Lightning folks routinely tow much more as the truck has the same tranny as in the PowerSmoke automatic and a huge rear end with some huge brakes as well.

Some might poop on the 2wd thing, but I'm in NC with 3 snow days a year. My job does not demand I show up, so, I can work from home on those days or drive my wife's Volvo. I don't see hauling around the extra 4wd stuff on the truck all year for the 1 hour I'd use it per year, when I got stuck in the mud at a paddock. But, then you guys can help me out, right? For some beer? ;-)

However, after having driven just about every damn truck available (even drove a Chevy) in the last month if I were after a full size truck and cared about some sort of rear seat I'd seriously look at the Nissan Titan. Very strong motor, interior that smokes the competition, and would probably be very reliable.

R

------------------
    Ron
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited October 03, 2004).]

Originally posted by rlearp:
    Well, much as some might hate to hear it I think I've selected a truck I'll go with, a Lightning.

A buddy of mine hooked me up with Ford's A Plan pricing (he's my father now, for the week) and the prices make a new Ford truck the same as a 2-3 year old used one. Since I have to use this thing every day to communte the fun to drive factors highly into my decision and the Lightning can tow enough as well.

While only factory rated at 5000lbs the Lightning folks routinely tow much more as the truck has the same tranny as in the PowerSmoke automatic and a huge rear end with some huge brakes as well.

Some might poop on the 2wd thing, but I'm in NC with 3 snow days a year. My job does not demand I show up, so, I can work from home on those days or drive my wife's Volvo. I don't see hauling around the extra 4wd stuff on the truck all year for the 1 hour I'd use it per year, when I got stuck in the mud at a paddock. But, then you guys can help me out, right? For some beer? ;-)

However, after having driven just about every damn truck available (even drove a Chevy) in the last month if I were after a full size truck and cared about some sort of rear seat I'd seriously look at the Nissan Titan. Very strong motor, interior that smokes the competition, and would probably be very reliable.

R

Smart move Ron. Agree wholeheartedly on the folly of 4WD. Why ruin 362 days of driving to make 3 days easier?

What gives it the 5000lb limitation?

Maybe airbags will help its load carrying/level performance?

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

I haven't found out why the rating is only 5000lbs although I've asked around plenty. That was when I found out people are hauling 7500+ with it on a regular basis. With 380/450 hp/torque standard, and more easily obtained with pulley swaps on the blower, it ought to tow more.

Hardware wise it has everything that a regular F150 rated at 7500 has. I imagine it has to do with possible warranty claims problems with the supercharged V8 that people are going to rag on to some extent being in an SVT product.

------------------
    Ron
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica

I believe the ol Dakota R/T was down-rated in towing capacity as well, and I'm pretty sure that was because of the spring package under the machine - lower stance, etc.

I'd bet it's the same thing with the Lightning - at least from the afore-mentioned liability standpoint.

Jarrod

That's going to be a cool tow vehicle. Faster than most race cars (certainly mine!).

Jeff

my sources say the dakota r/t was down graded because of the wheels they put on it. who knows but i would be curious in the suoercharger is the reason. remember the typhoon that was rated to tow 500 pounds.
    dick

5000 is enough, but I haven't found a straight answer on the towing. I do know that a lot of guys use them on the Lightning forum and some of those jokers tow 3 horse trailers at over 7800 with no ill effects. I always figured it was a bad idea to drive or ride anything with a brain the size of an grapefruit, but I digress. I'm sure I'll be fine at around 4-5000.

------------------
    Ron
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica

ron, I hope your new dad really is, as Ford Motor is cracking the whip on dealers faking A plan purchases. Be careful and don't advertise. I am a Ford Dealer and what they did is is like passing under a full course double yellow. Game over your out.

Could be totally off, as I haven't seen a stock lightning in sometime...

Do they come stock with 40/45/50 series tires? Perhaps the load rating of the tires is the limiting factor?

Could be the tires, good point.

As for the whip, well, "my dad" has been a Ford engineer for 32 years and will retire next year. A good fellow, and, in his words "I'll take the heat for it, don't worry, we're retiring to Mexico Summer of 2005". His wife is from there and I think they're looking to a happy retirement. His words, not mine, and also on another forum if Ford wants to read. Good man and I owe him a lot, so, I'm trying to help him sell his GT40 through my site, www.gt40s.com, of which he is a member. Again, his words but unless you or the couple of other Ford related folks that might read here takes this to task I think he is just fine and I'll certainly repay the favor in kind. Point taken though and I hope these posts will not cause trouble.

Besides, this damn thing is so much fun that I'd gladly pay the difference. Frankly, I'm amazed with what SVT has done and that it has so much potential untapped. Guys that insist on 4wd are really missing out on a truck that not only can get the job done but is a hoot to drive everyday.

"Yeah, but it's a Ford". Well, yeah, but Chevy has always been sucking hind teat.

------------------
    Ron
    Lotus Turbo Esprit
    BMW E36 M3
    RF GT40 Replica

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited October 07, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited October 07, 2004).]