Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you have?

LOWERED FORD SUPERCREW with airbags towing a CRX on a open deck trailer. Here's an old pic put you get the idea.

http://groups.msn.com/thegonzalezfamilyrichysheilaandnyah/projectitac rx.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=165://http://groups.msn.com/thegonzalezfa...oto&PhotoID=165

------------------
    Richy Gonzalez
    GB Racing - #24 ITA CRX
    LAMIN-X Protective Films

[This message has been edited by Richy Gonzalez (edited May 16, 2004).]

2001 GMC w/ a 5.3 and a 22' Enclosed Pace. Air bags and shocks needed. Brakes ok, the wireless controller is way cool.

But I saw this setup last week.

spotted at Lime Rock: Accord wagon towing...thats right, towing, an ITA CRX on an open trailer.

Who's walking who??

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

'97 F350 Powerstroke crewcab 4x4 pulling a 20' Wells Cargo box.

The Wells is heavy, around 3300 empty and probably over 6000 loaded, but the Ford still gets 11/12 mpg pulling around here. I suppose the fuel mileage would be better if I lived somewhere flat.

No complaints.

------------------
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division

2003 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Hemi Pulling 24Ft Haulmark Elite Race trailer With 1980 RX-7 Race car and Equpment. "Hemi Haulin'Rotary" Don't know the Company that comes up with the ads for dodge but it sure works. Truck does a great job towing as fast as you dare go. The 34 Gal tank is a little exciting to fill these days but Mileage wise towing I usually get between 11 to 12 miles to gallon. Something about the exhaust note with the cat back has a tendency to catch yourself making heavier throttle application for the rumble effect. Think at 61 I'd out grow that stuff

1999 GMC Suburban 2500 w/454 engine, pulling a 24' Millenium Select enclosed trailer. Sometimes I have to remind myself that there is a trailer behind me.

Anthony R.
    NER ITA #86
    Honda CRX Si

Damn; I feel inadeqquate with this 1 ton crew

2000 Tundra, 4.7 Liter, 14 foot trailer with a nearly spec ITA Rx7.

It tows all right, except for the rear suspension. With any weight in the bed, its on the bumpstops. Some air bags, and deent shocks and it wil tow just fine.

M.

Marcus--Forget the air bags. Check out a set of TIMBREN Load boosters.

Theses are simple and work great.

I have had them on all my tow vehicles since 1988 because when you tow at night I like my headlights to point down the road and not up to the sky.

Cheers.

2003 F350 crewcab diesel dually, heated leather seats, AC, cruise, CD player. I'm in heaven. 24' enclosed, for all the crap.

But...I still miss my '95 E350 7.3 PSD turbo diesel Supercargo van. If you're a typical club racer with an open trailer, a van or stretch van is what you really need, even if you don't know it. It's a hotel room/cabana/mobile cabin at the track, you can fill it with 5x more crap than you could ever get in a pickup or Suburban or Extrusion. Entropy Racing bought my old diesel van, and some days I just want it back.

1 ton '88 GMC van, 350 throttle body with a single axle open trailer.

Since no one else has spoken for us RV'rs

1998 32' Gulfstream Motorhome on f55? chassis, Ford 460 V8. OK I only get 7mpg with or without the 18' open trailer loaded with the ITA Rx7, but once I get to the track there are no more expenses because food and lodging arrived with me, that is of course excluding any on track mayham.

Or a 1994 E150 Conversion van 351V8, 14Mpg without the trailer I'm guessing If I did a full tank of pulling around 12.

Oh and the 33 Gallon tank on the van is big but 75 Gallons on the Motorhome, plus the race car and gas cans.... Sheez... Sombody get me a beer.

Originally posted by joeg:
    Marcus--Forget the air bags. Check out a set of TIMBREN Load boosters.

Theses are simple and work great.

I have had them on all my tow vehicles since 1988 because when you tow at night I like my headlights to point down the road and not up to the sky.

Cheers.
    Thanks for the tip Joe, What are they? I've never heard of them (I'm, *really* new to the towing thing...)

Marcus
    Edit: typing

[This message has been edited by Marcus Miller (edited May 19, 2004).]

Originally posted by Marcus Miller:
    Thnkas for the tip Joe, What are they? I've never heard of them (I'm, *really* new to the towing thing...)

Marcus

[This message has been edited by Marcus Miller (edited May 19, 2004).]

Marcus-They are thick rubber tubes that look like air bags, but they are simply huge bump stops that replace the stock bump stops.

Just google them; they are sold by many truck equippers. The front end ones are used a lot by snow plow pick-ups.

The rear package keeps the rear of your truck from sagging under load.

I have a 2000 Dodge Datkota 3.8 L V6, extended cab 2 wheel drive. I have a 18foot trailer with 1/2 wood deck (other half open). I have a hoppy brake-force brake controller.

When towing the Spec Miata, tools and spares the truck is pretty nice. It gets 18 without trailer, 11 or so with. The secret is to load the truck more than the trailer.

2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty CrewCab. Sweet ride. So much better than my old 78' Ford Pickup, and it has AC that works! Pulls a open dual axle steel trailer with large tool box and custom tire rack. Round trip to VIR from Atlanta averaged 14 mpg. Well worth the trips to Afghanistan, Israel and Iraq to pay for it. I plan on getting a enclosed trailer of some sort hopefully next year, so I went with the biggest truck that I could afford and made sense. With the open trailer, I have to look back there sometimes to see if I am actually pulling something!

------------------
    Tristan Smith
    Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
    ITA Nissan 240sx #56

[This message has been edited by Tristan Smith (edited May 19, 2004).]

I think I have the oldest so far:
    1976 Dodge RV 18 foot Cobra towing a 20 foot Haulmark. Yep about 6-7mpg...or would that be gpm. But I do have the only wind powered RV that I have seen so far. It has a 400W wind turbine that I mount on a 20+ foot pole that hooks up to the batts on the RV.

Anyone out there pulling with a Ford Triton V-10?

We're looking for a good E-350 15-passenger to replace the non-turbo diesel cargo van, but these seem to be few and far between. As much as I love my diesels I'm expanding the search to include the V-10. With the price of fuel, these things are dropping like a rock in price, and since we'll only use it for ~5000 or so miles per year the purchase price reduction will more than cover the extra price of the fuel for a while. Besides, the V-10 has nearly as much torque as the Powerstroke.

If you happen to see 1996-2001 E-350 15-passenger extended van with low miles and either a Powerstroke diesel or Triton V-10, please let me know...I'm also looking for a good aluminum 2-car open trailer.

Greg Amy

zracer22 Guest

Marcus
    I have a 2002 Tundra SR5 4x4 that I tow my 20' Enclosed trailer, BMW 325is, tools, etc... Total towing weight #6500 and tongue weight is #1000 and i usually have 300-400 lbs of cargo in the truck bed. I have no problems with the rear suspension botteming out. In fact it tows great, I have no complaints. If you don't have a weight distributing hitch, get one! It will make a huge difference.

2002 V-10 Excursion and 16ft open tandem axle trailer with a job box mounted to the front of it. My Crx fits perfectly behind the job box. Great aerodynamics since the truck sits higher than the trailer. I also use the weight distributing hitch with 1000lb. bars. Tows like a dream, but I'm comparing it to towing with a straight 6 Jeep Cherokee for the first two years.

Greg A-- I love the V-10 and can get 14 mpg with it while either towing or not. Yeah, the gas is alot, but, we don't use it that much, so its no big deal. It pulls great on hills and has a good power band. I wanted a diesel, but they were about $4000-5000 than the V-10, and thats on the used market. I bought the truck here in Wisconsin in March of 2003 for under $25,000. It had only 25,100 miles on it. I think with a better exhaust and some ECU tweaking, the motor could do even better on mpg and performance. All I have done is put in a K&N. Hope this helps.
    --Bill

P.S. Greg A keep us posted if you get the v-10 and how it works pulling the two car trailer. We are going to this set up next year, with two Crx's on the trailer. I'd be very curious to hear how it works.

[This message has been edited by B Schley (edited June 01, 2004).]

Scott and Cherokee,

I'll also speak up for the RV crowd.

I have a '92 Fleetwood Jamboree Special 23' on a e350 chassis with a 460. I tow a 2004 Interstate 16' enclosed trailer. Less than 50K miles on the RV.

Hardly what I would call first class, but the whole rig is paid for. Keeps the family happy while at the track. Tows without much fuss. Combined weight of RV and loaded trailer is about 15,000.

Gets about 12mpg w/o trailer, anywhere from 8-11 while towing...depends on number and severity of grades.

My only wish is that I had a class A diesel so that I could get a bigger trailer...but then again, I have never been a fan of spending all the money on the tow rig and not having it for the car. Job dictates that I need something economical as a daily driver so a $30K truck that only sees race weekend duty is out of the question.