Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light Trailer - Sources?

The Volvo might could do okay, at least with flat terrian. It ceratinly has more power and torque than a wheezy 84 Le sabre, plus a five speed auto box for better ratios.

But, for longitivity it might not be a good choice. For brakes it'd be fine - it weighs less than a truck, has larger brakes, so the effective total brake to weight ratio would be better. But, since it only weighs about 3750 lbs it'd not be a lot heavier than the towed rig. Plus, the tranny isn't going to be as strong as an Ford EAOD, C6, or GM TH setup. Might could hook it up to Jeff's rig and see how it does.

Ahhhh, you guys are whimps.

When I was younger and fearless I used to use a tow dolly and tow my SSC Dodge Neon (2600# plus stuff in it) behind a first gen RX7. Yes, an RX7 was the tow vehicle.

We went all over the place.

Looking back it was a bad idea. But it proves you don't need a bunch of power or weight to get the job done. Like I said, bad idea and don't do as I did.

Regardless... Seriously, tow dollies are great!! A tow dolly really might be an excellent interim solution for you and would tow like a dream behind a Volvo.

Sterling

Ron, we can try the Volvo with my big steel trailer. My guess is Greg is right. It's long (18') and heavy and I don't think you will like how it feels under tow.

You've got a lot of vehicles at the moment and certainly understand the Homeland Administrator issues, but if you could swing a pickup and trailer for $5k and store it for $100 a month, I think you'd be a lot happier.

Besides, you can always use the pickup for a few yard related tjobs or furniture hauling, and then your wife will LOVE it...lol.

Jeff

A Ford Lightning pickup.......

A few years ago I got a custom aluminum trialer for my 2002, it was 10'x6' and had those little 10" utility wheels that where rated at 1100 lbs each, which gave me a gross weight of 4400 lbs! the whole trailer only weighed 800 lbs and towed great. It was built by Xanadu in Canada, but they got bought out by Black lightning trailers, also in Canada. The bad news is, I can't get their web sight to work, maybe they have gone under. See if you can find them, it was a great trialer.