Thread: where to mount a license plate?

Default where to mount a license plate?

OK, I'm almost embarrased to ask, but I will anyway. Where should a license plate be mounted on an open trailer. My brandy-new 16' open deck, open trailer doesn't seem to have an area to mount a license plate.

I started to drill out a couple of holes and realized my crappy Black n' Spanker wouldn't cut it (or more acurately, drill it).

My temporary solution was to mount the plate on the race car.

------------------
    -dave
    8)
    Got Photos?... post 'em here: http://y3k.shacknet.nu:31338/gallery/

Dave, there's usually a bracket hanging below one of the tail light assemblies. If not, your local NAPA will have one. - GA

The "normal" place is below one of the trailer lights. That light usually has a clear lens on the bottom, so the running lights will also illuminate the plate.

Another good source would be a boat supply place, since boat trailers work exactly the same way.

I don't have a picture, but an even cheaper option (I have seen, but would not personally use) would be to screw the plate onto the back half of one of the trailer fenders.

No matter what, I don't believe attaching it to the car does you any good. Ultimately, it depends on what kind of mood the "public servant" is in when he asks to speak with you!

Good luck!

------------------
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 (finally)
    1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

Thanks Greg.

Bolt it to the back of a fender on the trailer if all else fails--not on the car!

I have seen, but would not personally use

Why not? That's where mine is (on my open deck trailer) for a very good reason: The bracket the manufacturer provided is on the lower edge of the rear-most member where it will drag and bend the plate everytime I went in or out of a driveway. I moved it and the light to the fender; problem solved.

------------------
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division