Thread: Trailer Recommendations/Prices

Default Trailer Recommendations/Prices

I'm in the market for a two-car trailer. I need to pull either two Spec Miatas or one Spec and a Nissan NX2000 coupe. I'd like to get some feedback on trailer recommendations, sources, and relative prices for both closed and open trailers.

I have basically two options: an enclosed trailer and a pickup truck, or an open trailer and a van. Personally, I don't care which, as I will not use the truck for a daily driver and either option will give me the gear/tools/equipment enclosure protection I need. However, I want to spend as little as possible, therefore I'm trying to find out which option is cheaper.

At first glance, you'd suggest that the open trailer/van combo is cheaper; well, maybe not. I'm not buying new stuff, it'll have to be used, and I'm finding there are many more purchase options in pickup trucks than vans, thus the prices on good used trucks are a lot less. If I go van, I want to go with a Ford E-350 with Powerstroke; if I go truck I'm open to an F-350 Powerstroke or a Dodge 3500 with Cummins. I'm learning more about the Chevy Duramax now. So, once I have an idea on the relative availability and prices on the trailer options, I can work better towards making a truck decision.

Also, any clue as to how large a trailer I will need? The cars nose-to-tail with a little space in between suggest an open trailer with a 28' deck will be sufficient; how are closed trailers measured? Is a 28'x8' enclosed trailer 28 feet inside, or 28' hitch-to-tail?

Finally, if you know of any good candidates for sale, please let me know.

Your feedback is appreciated...

Greg

DON'T GET A RENEGADE.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Enclosed trailers are advertised by their approximate box size.

Some 20's might be 19'6", some could be 20'6. If the front panel has much curvature they might also measure along the center. Which could be another 6" longer than down the sides.

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited May 29, 2004).]

Greg,

Check out www.trailerworld.com 800.872.2833 ext. 102

Ask for Wally. I can answer some of your questions.

Wally Ruanto