Thread: Cheapo 12v "IMPACT" Wrench question

Default Cheapo 12v "IMPACT" Wrench question

anyone else find this utterly useless?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=36175

it just spins and spins and hope it catches after a couple seconds. is it just mine or pretty much get what you pay for?

That is how the engineers made it work.

Put it in your wife's car, it'll enable her to remove the lug bolts on her car if she is willing to change a flat tire.

Tyson, I've been carrying around what I thought was a almost useless $19.95 device. The tool became really useful at my last June 30 NASA Enduro race. The enduro car owned by my teammate had a couple of problems including a failed fuel pump and alternator that we experienced during Saturday practice.

Fuel pump
    We were having great difficulty getting the high pressure line off the fuel pump. I finally tried the "el cheapo" impact and it whirred and caught and loosened the nut easily.

Alternator
    We found a spare from a fellow competitor but the pulley was different than the one on our car. Have any of you tried to loosen the alternator pulley nut w/o an impact? Well, "el cheapo" saved the day again.

BTW, the way the "el cheapo" impact functions makes it seem to work better for some applications as compared to a more traditional impact wrench. The "el cheapo" whirrs and gets up to speed before it catches and transmits a very high energy short duration impact.

36 ITB Capri - engine finally out of shop.
    41 NASA GTI Cup VW - running- just needs log book and some 2002 updates.

wait, so this patciular tool is useless? i've been wanting to get it for a while...

for $20 I'd say it's worth it, if for nothing else but insurance incase your real impact breaks