Thread: Drill Presses

Default Drill Presses

I have been thinking about getting a drill press one of these days. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? The three most common sources that I am familliar with are Sears Craftsman, Northern Hydraulic and Harbor Freight. HF comes in the cheapest but do they hold up?
    Thanks.
    Paul

very happy with my harbor frieght drill press.
    belt drive ajustable speed. chuck could be beter but they are easy to replace. we have a sears direct drive one in the shop as well. does not work well.
    dick

Paul--I have a big Delta. Frankly, it is the least used tool in the shop. Put it down on the priority list unless a super bargain comes your way. A "mill/drill" (at a cheap price--consider used) is a better choice.

Originally posted by dickita15:
    very happy with my harbor frieght drill press.
    belt drive ajustable speed. chuck could be beter but they are easy to replace. we have a sears direct drive one in the shop as well. does not work well.
    dick
    My Dad purchased a newer, bigger HF drill press, and gave me the old one. I don't find much use for it, so it sits on the garage floor, but I did lots of projects with metal, wood, plastic and it was great.

He did have to purchase a new belt before he gave it to me, but the chuck - as mentioned above - seemed to not hold the bits very well... funny... thought it was just me...

PJ

------------------
    83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

I would have to agree that a drill press does not get used alot, but like any other tool when the occasion arises there's really no substitute. I got mine (chicago electric, I think) from Big Lots fo $125. It is floor standing, 3/4hp with 12 speeds. They don't always have them but I have seen them there twice in the last two years.

I bought mine @ big Lots for $40 .. I loved it until It cut half my finger off ( my fault entirely)now it just sits there....

no chuck problems

Just got the Northern flyer, and they've got their bench-top, 5-spd, 1/3 hp one for $50. I've looked at these things for years, and have never pulled the trigger on one. $50 isn't much to spend, and I know it will probably sit on the bench and collect dust, but as someone pointed out, when you need it, you need it. The only thing that has held me off on a bench-top one is that I don't know if it's going to be able to handle a fish-mouth tubing cutter.

Fleetcare,

I saw that happen to my dad when I was a kid. He was drilling some 3/4" holes through some 1" steel plate on the radial drill press at my grandfather's house. Well, wouldn't you know that one of the turnings came around and sliced his thumb all the way to the bone!

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

Is a 1/3 hp unit really any good? I have a bench grinder w/ a 1/2 hp motor on it, and it seems the motor lacks power. It will slow down, almost to a stop, if even moderate pressure is applied.

------------------
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing
    ITS Mazda RX7 #35
    [email protected]

Chris,

I guess it really depends on what you're going to use it for. I sure wouldn't want to try and drill 3/4" holes through 1/2" plate steel w/ a 1/3hp benchtop model, but it should do for most simple things. I agree about the grinders as well. I've got a 6" Craftsman w/ a 1/2hp motor, and it slows down at the drop of a hat. Just have to know how to use it and not try and overload it.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

Speaking of fishmouth tubing cutters, where can you get one of those? The only one I have seen is in Eastwoods cataloge.

Paul

Funny you should ask, the same Northern flyer has two, one for $150 and another for $250. Both will take up to 2" tubing. The cheap one is setup only for bench mount and use w/ a hand drill the $250 one can be used on a drill press.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608