Thread: Racing Suits?

Default Racing Suits?

Who's got the best deal on racing suits and Nomex underwear?

2 piece, 1 piece, single, double, triple layer...etc....

------------------
    Scott
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it

E-mail me for deals on
    Lightweight Replica Blocks!

racesuits.com had the best prices and no sale tax depending on were you live.

Racer Wholesale has good prices as well, and a nice variety to pick from (including custom suits).

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

I just rec'd a new Sparco Sprint 2 suit (FIA & SFI 3.2a/5)
    Available for $399. Great ventilation in shoulder area, looks like it should cost much more, Italian. light weight. Sparco....need I say more.
    I think its the best value on the market. I got mine from Steve at TrueChoice in Dublin Ohio (the same family that owns Mid Ohio) 1/800-388-8783. I don't think they currently show in the catalog, but they still ordered it for me and provided great service.

http://www.sparcousa.com/prace_suits.asp?id=278

http://www.truechoice.com/menu.asp

I would just recommend, as a general rule, that you try before you buy. My first suit was a nice "Custom" measured suit from Simpson. It looked good for standing around but was never comfortable while driving. Plus I ah, grew a bit. Anyway, when it was time to replace it I went to the Simpson shop in Charlotte (I did Not do this the first time around). There I was able to try on their standard 3-2A5 two layer suits. Got a good deal on a comfortable suit. It's a tad baggie to walk around in but just right for wearing in the car. That's where counts.
    If it's not comfortable to wear while strapped into a confining racing seat in a very hot car, it's not a deal.
    My $.02
    Paul

Oh yeah. I still wear a layer of nomex underwear under my 3-2A/5 suit. No itching and the suit doesn't get so stinky over a weekend.

If you want a Euro suit then you can't beat http://www.Demon-Tweeks.com They are much less than USA pricing and shipping is easy and reasonable.

------------------
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment

I have a large selections of 2001 OMP 3 layer suits in my shop that I have discounted significantly from the original prices. Please feel free to contact me at 304.725.4035 or [email protected]
    Thanks.
    dave parker
    wdcr itb#13

Thanks guys! Will an FIA suit pass tech as is or does it need some homologation papers/patches/tags

Dave, you've got mail

I bought a suit indirectly thru DemonTweaks, saved about $100.00 even with shipping. They do not have a SFI patch. I called Sparco USA about the situation. They indicated that they are trying to crack down on Euro suits entering this country (it's all about sales #). They get the SFI rating when the enter this country and there is no way to get a patch for a suit from Europe.

So I called SFI. The lady was extremely helpful and even emailed a copy of study that compare SFI to FIA rating. It showed FIA ratings are a higher standard than SFI ratings. Most tech guys will not give you trouble. Worst case you will have to wear underwear, regardless of how many layers are in the suit (I wear mine anyway).

I can post/email the document if anyone is interested.

Definitely interested in the info you have bbp!! You're right about Demon-Tweeks... great prices!

If all it takes to pass tech is the underwear, then it shouldn't be a big deal as I'll be wearing that anyway.

Either post the info here or email me at [email protected]

Straight from the 2002 GCR:

"Underwear is not required with three-layer suits or with suits carrying an SFI 3-2A/5 or higher Certification Patch."

In other words, if it's three layer, no patch needed. (The guys at OMP pointed that out to me when I asked about the lack of patch on my new suit...)

Jarrod

Jarrod,

The wording, the way you've quoted it, would imply that if it's a 3-layer no underwear is required. However, there are people out there that can't tell the diff between a 2 or 3 layer suit. Is it your burden to prove to them it's 3 layers? I believe that the wording in the GCR is so that those 2-layer suits with a -5 SFI rating will not require the use on underwear. Buy a 3-layer w or w/o an SFI patch and wear underwear.

Can't be too safe, it may be hot, but not as hot as your skin getting torched.

--Daryl

Oh, don't worry - I've got the underwear as well, and I wear it.

Jarrod

I rec'd my new Sparco Sprint 2 about a month ago and it has the SFI patch...and it came straight from Italy.

Speed Raycer
    I sent three emails to you about OMP suits and all were returned by your server.
    dave parker