Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: summit point 12 hour

A number of years ago I ran my school at Summit and received the same "gift' in the mail. From the comments, I gather it's the probably the same photographer.

My problem isn't with him so much as the sanctioning body - somebody in there supplied this fool with my name and address for commercial gain. I find it patently offensive that somebody would violate my privacy in that way.

Well there is an easy way to handle this. After the first time you know the sender and return address. When you get the proofs just cross out your address and write return to sender on it, it will go back to sender end of issues.

I don't agree this is "slamming" a vendor, but just discussing how business should be done for US, the customer.

I recently received in the mail some photos of me driving our ITA Miata (SM Miata, put it in A) at the VIR Grand course event in May.

The photos were normal photomat sizes and included a bill, which I was very suprised to see - this is the first time this has ever happened to me. Essentially, each photo would cost $2 apiece. I was told I owed $12 and should pay in 30 days.

I think this is completely unwarranted. I didn't ask for the photos, never saw the photographer at the paddock, and was never asked my phone/email/web/verbal request if I would pay for them if they were sent to me.

I sent them back, with a "NO THANK YOU" sticker and a brief explination for how I would prefer they do business with me. Next time they are sent to me, unsolicited, I will simply keep them.

There are right ways and wrong ways to do this sort of thing in the racing community. To me this is a wrong way.

Ron

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    White Jensen-Healey ITS
    Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS
    Email: "rlearp at gt40s.com"

Originally posted by 2Many Z's:
    But I don't think he deserves to be slammed this way. After all, one photographer can't be at every place on the track at the same time. One day, one of his pictures might be the one you've longed for to hang on your wall.
    Lets say I sell stereos. I go to a concert, and get the list of folks who saw the show, and send them each a stereo, just a simple one, with a bill.

It's the same thing...the folks don't want to deal with it...and it's rarely the best stereo for their needs.

I'd have little to complain about if they decided to keep them as a gift, after all they never solicited the receipt of the stereo.

Basically it's a strongarm tactic, and it won't fly in my book.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Originally posted by 2Many Z's:
    ... I don't think he deserves to be slammed this way. ...
    Interesting choice of words, there.

"Slamming" is the term applied when a telecom provider illegally changes a person's phone service. The defense used to be that the customer always had the option of changing to something different if they didn't like it.

Sound familiar?

K

Anything you rcv in the mail with out asking for it is yours to keep.

I have simply responded to these guys in the past to ask if they can prove I got the pics, or send an email telling them I left them out on the front stoop for them to come pick up since I didn't have postage. (you want 'em, you come get 'em) No one has come looking for their pic's yet.

Perhaps someone should park a trailer in front these guy's car(s) in the paddock, then simply ask for $50 to move it so they can leave? Same thing isn't it?

I certainly don't think anything said here was slamming him. When I went to Summit two years ago, I also received the lovely envelope with a bill. I was annoyed with this but planned on sending them back to him. To say the least, it wasn't exactly a high priority of mine. In fact they are probably still in my desk somewheres. With all of the junk mail we get, it wasn't too difficult to throw away his late notices.

I really like how 16v and some others do it by posting the shots on the web. I wouldn't mind if he sent me a post card referring me to the site or could mail it back requesting the proofs with a bill.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si