Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: summit point 12 hour

Originally posted by MMiskoe:
    If I made a move on you that you considered poor judgment, sorry, it wasn't intentional, so better speak up or I am likely to do it again.
    Matt,
    You guys were one of the fast AND patient cars. Second overall in a Miata!! Your being too modest. You did a hell of a job out there, congrats on the win!! Nice to see other NER drivers out there, specially when they win!!

[This message has been edited by JLawton (edited June 06, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by JLawton (edited June 06, 2005).]

Congrats to all of the drivers, crews, and especially to all the workers. Even though the Otto's Motorsport team was sidelined this season, we had a great time watching one of the best SCCA events on the east coast. We hope to rejoin the fun next year.

P.S. Did anyone else see a circus bear dancing around a huge orange pylon?

------------------
    Gerry Walsh
    Otto's Motorsport
    2004 N.E. Division Enduro Champions

Originally posted by gwalsh:
    That's funny. Given the size I thought it was a grinder's monkey. :P

Way to go guys, glad to see Pablo kicked some butt. That is an awesome enduro car and a helluva a team.

Matt Miskoe,

You guys had a great car, it was a real pleasure watching it. I didn't get to see much other than Turn 10, but the car was a rocket through there!!! I wasn't sure, but I thought that there were a few times when the driver didn't lift or brake for 10.

/edit/ Jeff, you're ruining my image!!! Seriously, thanks for the kind words. You guys took such good care of the car, it made my job easy.
    ------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

[This message has been edited by Bill Miller (edited June 06, 2005).]

Not brake for turn 10? I don't think so. That little car may stick pretty well, but not that well, I just did some math & found we're hitting triple digits at about the bridge.

And for for Mr Lawton, I think I'll frame that quote, the only time I've been referred to as Patient is when I'm at the doctor's office.

Matt

Originally posted by gwalsh:
    That was "Stud Muffin", NOT circus bear or grinder's money - remind me to slap both of you the next time you're around...

Something I just noticed - Greg turned our fastest lap of the race in the last 10 minutes. In the dark. Cool.

K

Originally posted by Knestis:
    Something I just noticed - Greg turned our fastest lap of the race in the last 10 minutes. In the dark. Cool.

K
    It's not as scary if you can't see what you might hit.

True, John. Those laps also usually involve comments such as, "Was that my braking point...?"

Does anybody know where pictures of the event are? I haven't seen any except for a few "team" pictures.

I know Jim Sykes from Motorsports Imaging was there shooting up a storm. I'm sure he'll make an announcement here when the photos are up.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

The PhilsTireService.com Team GTI site is updated with Summit story and pics at...

http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/summit05.php

Sorry for being slow!

K

Originally posted by Chris Taylor:
    Does anybody know where pictures of the event are? ...
    I got a mailed set of proof prints from one of the track photogs - and instructions to either pay for them or pay to mail them back.

This was the second batch from the same individual, the first being from the SARRC/MARRS doo-dah last month, bringing the total that he "hopes I'll send" to $96. Unless of course I want bigger prints, which cost more.

Wrong.

Wrong for several reasons.

I was born with my grandfather's Scots sensibilities about business but this kind of thing is pretty offensive to me, as a sales strategy - more appropriate to the Moonies who parked in our office foyer selling windchimes last week, the message being, "Buy our crap and we'll leave you alone."

Second, I can get good quality digital images, either free from friends (below) or selectively from pros, that are actually useful to me.

I'm more than willing to support folks who are supporting our game but this is lame.

K

I like that picture. I finally wandered over and joined in the discussions here. I had a great time at the Summit 12 hour, wish I was on my way to France right now, maybe one day.
    Cameron

[This message has been edited by Conover (edited June 17, 2005).]

I hear you on this....a photog from the NE used to send me "proofs", with the instructions that I was to return them if not interested...at my cost in time and material.

Of course I grumbled,......and forgot, and ended up getting "past due" notices and, who knows, maybe a knock on my credit report.

After about 3 attempts, I get no more of the mailings, which, of couse, included much advertising about the photogs other day job as a financial analyst.

I really feel no debt as I never contracted hsi product, and have no responsibility to act as an active participant in a deal I never requested.

It's really the wrong wat to do business, IMHO, when there are WAY better options....such as inviting drivers to view themselves on a website, or actually walking the paddock and talking to people....but that is "inefficient", and is only done by guys like Gordon Jolley.

There are those that will chastise me, for either being harsh in my nonpayment, or because "the photogs won't support our sport if we don't support them", but frankly, they will get all the support I can give if they just play fair.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Kirk, if it's the same guy who took my photo at the 2003 ARRC, you'll keep getting postcards asking you to pay or send the photo back.

Funny, he didn't even ask if I wanted photos of my car taken at the 2004 ARRC. He WAS walking around the grid....

Come to think of it, though, I don't think I've seen one of those postcards for a few months now. Guess I'm blacklisted.

Jarrod

Jake,

I am with you 100%. Just went through this with ANOTHER vendor - this time the one at Pocono for the Double. Sent me 10 pics (some AWESOME!) and a bill for $30. If he included a SASE, I would have been more than happy to send them back.

I did send him a proactive e-mail asking for pricing on web-ready copy, but he doesn't do digital (!) so all I could do was scan and...WHATEVER.

No reason to do business with anyone other than Doug Koza at the 16V.com - great pricing, great shots.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

This is Cameron, by the way, doing what he does in a photo by Kim Phillips (of Phil's Tire Service fame). She claimed to not know what she was doing with her brand new camera but I think that is a superb shot.

The one above was taken by John Roy, a friend from Frederick, MD who stopped by to see us.

I'd like to think that a person using this "marketing" approach wouldn't be stupid enough to try to put a ding on my credit report for non-payment. It wouldn't take much stretch of the imagination to actually "make a federal case out of this," since it applies fraudulent uses of the US mail system - charging for unrequested services or products - governed by clauses of federal interstate commerce law.

K

I believe I know which vendor your talking about. He's been taking pics at Summit for 20+ years and has always done it this way.
    He's been around since long before digital camera and the internet was available to us.

I for one bought a lot of picture from him when I competed, his were sure a lot better pics than many that my ex took with my cheap camera that I had at the time. The ones I didn't like, I sent back.

As far as why he still does business in his usual way, you'd have to ask him. But I don't think he deserves to be slammed this way. After all, one photographer can't be at every place on the track at the same time. One day, one of his pictures might be the one you've longed for to hang on your wall.