Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: summit point 12 hour

Default summit point 12 hour

hello to all, I was wondering if anyone holding one of the 55 spots to run the 12 hour would be interested in selling their spot. i'm the owner of the winning ITA from the 2004 race and due to the lottery system I'm curently number 66 stuck on the bubble. I must admit I don't feel quite right about doing this however do to others drivers actions I feel that I'm left with no choice. If anyone is interested please e-mail me at [email protected]

Has there been any bubble action in the last couple weeks? Particularly, have any additional ITB cars been added? We were a little bummed to find out that there were only two of us in the first cut.

K

how would selling a spot work? if someone drops out their spot goes to the next person in line on the bubble, they can't pick who gets it....

It's raining...

K

Marshall
    Please don't fool yourself into thinking that this has not been done already.
    cheers
    dave parker
    wdcr ITC#97

Originally posted by dave parker:
    Please don't fool yourself into thinking that this has not been done already.
    That reminds me that I need to get everyone I know to sign up for next year's 12-Hour. That way we can sell the slots at a huge profit and fund our racing for '06.

Haz-Matt

What a fabulous weekend! My hat's off to the PhilsTireService.com Team GTI! The car ran great, the drivers did a fantastic job, and the only mechanical issue we had was a left rear wheel bearing at the 9th hour. I didn't get a final results sheet, but we were up several laps at 11:00.

Thanks to everyone, I had a blast!!! See you at VIR.

Side Note: We ran the whole race w/o changing brake pads (Yeah Hawk Blue!), and on two sets of Hoosiers R3SO4's. I don't know what the Hoosier folks have done, but those tires wear amazingly well. I wouldn't be surprised if we couldn't have gotten another 6 or 8 hours out of them.

To Matt, Tom, Nick, Jeff, Evan, Jeff, and Todd (I think I got them all), sorry for your misfortune, but it was a privilege sharing a pit and paddock w/ you guys this weekend! Jeff F. the beer was totally unnecessary, but very much appreicated (especially by the rest of the PhilsTireService.com team! ). Look forward to doing it again next time!!!

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Oh yeah, I guess I should do some kind of race report. The Fri. test day was pretty crappy. Rain and drizzle on and off for the whole day. Seemed to pretty much lighten up and stop by the time the 12 hr. practice started at 7:00. A little haze Sat. AM, but it all burned off by 10:00. By the time the race started, it was absolutely beautiful out, and stayed that way for the rest of the day. Got a tad warm by mid-afternoon, but cooled down really nice after the sun went down. Hat's off to the drivers for being able to run as fast at night, as they did during the day!!!

I'll let some of the drivers chime in w/ more details!!

------------------
    SCCA 279608

What I saw from the stands were that half the field drove a smart, calculated, 12 Hour race. The other half of the field drove like it was a sprint race and they were hoping a Nascar talent scout was in the stands watching them.....

I can't remember ever seeing so many metal-to-metal's as I did from some of the SM guys.....even the corner workers were calling amazed at the amount of aggressive driving moves some of them were making.

For the first time, I saw the race from the Pits as a "race official". Quite interesting considering the number of events I've seen from the other side of the wall crewing for RC Imports.

I was surprised at the attrition rates at this year's 12-Hour - by mid-afternoon, the paddock was awash with crashed or broken racecars!! From my point of view in the pits, I was appalled at the number of teams that were wholly clueless about pit stops - too many people over the wall, fuel spills galore and general stupidity. With the amount of body damage on the cars, I thought this was an EMRA enduro (sorry Bill, it's the truth given my experiences).

Anyhow, twas great to see Bill and Kirk again. Also great to meet (and I won't remember everyone) Greg, Evan, Matt, Todd, Lee and the others who will remain nameless in my feeble brain. Hope you enjoyed "cruising" on the pit bike

Chances are good that I'll be crewing for RC Imports at the 13-Hour - hope to see y'all there!!

Haz-Matt

Far too tired to do a write-up tonight, but what a blast! Thanks to everyone, each and every one of you. It was truly a team success.

I hate Spec Miatas.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=163608

I'd like to give a huge thumbs up to everyone involved with the Team Sisu #91 ITC CRX. Thankfully we experienced most of our gremlins on Friday night, having to swap out a fuel pump, but relatively little drama on Saturday. Although we were the only ITC car out there (so finding a race was a little difficult), we finished 24th out of 53 starters.

We finished ahead of:

* All ITB cars
    * All Spec RX7's
    * 5 of 8 ITA cars
    * 8 of 15 SM cars
    * 5 of 10 SSM cars

My neck is stiff from having spent four hours in a car with my eyes fixed on the rear-view :-) and I'd like to thank the majority of drivers for respecting us and our car's abilities.

Thanks to:

Crew Chief / DTR: Jason Fields

Crew: Carolyn Rowland, Al Gervais, Andrew Mundy, John Burkhardt, Beth Burkhardt, Roger Troxell, Rob Luke, Kevin Helm, and Hannes Buchinger

Drivers: Kirk Dohne (car owner), Pat Sharkitt, and me.

------------------
    Gregg Ginsberg
    Visit my homepage / blog
    '89 CRX Si -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited June 05, 2005).]

I just got home about 2 hours ago - having driven the Golf 5 hours home from Summit - and am pretty whacked, too.

I need to thank Bill and all of the others who helped out (you'll all make the credits page on the web site) and three of the best co-drivers a guy could ever wish to put in his car - Greg Amy, Jeff Lawton, and Phil Phillips.

I was the problem child - flat-spotting a new Hoosier, missing pit-in during practice, and likely knocking the exhaust off of the hangers when I leaped over the T3 curb - while the three of them pretty much left with clean copybooks.

K

You're the car owner, you are allowed to do that

M.

Originally posted by Gregg:
    Although we were the only ITC car out there (so finding a race was a little difficult), we finished 24th out of 53 starters.

We finished ahead of:

* All ITB cars
    * All Spec RX7's
    * 5 of 8 ITA cars
    * 8 of 15 SM cars
    * 5 of 10 SSM cars
    And at least this ITS car!!! (stupid radiator!)

Good job to you and your team. I had no issues in traffic with you guys at all.

joe

#13 ITS Nissan 240SX

[edit] signature

[This message has been edited by jamsilvia (edited June 06, 2005).]

I'd like to give a huge thumbs up to everyone involved with the Team Sisu #91 ITC CRX. Thankfully we experienced most of our gremlins on Friday night, having to swap out a fuel pump, but relatively little drama on Saturday. Although we were the only ITC car out there (so finding a race was a little difficult), we finished 24th out of 53 starters.

We finished ahead of:

* All ITB cars
    * All Spec RX7's
    * 5 of 8 ITA cars
    * 8 of 15 SM cars
    * 5 of 10 SSM cars

My neck is stiff from having spent four hours in a car with my eyes fixed on the rear-view :-) and I'd like to thank the majority of drivers for respecting us and our car's abilities.

Thanks to:

Crew Chief / DTR: Jason Fields

Crew: Carolyn Rowland, Al Gervais, Andrew Mundy, John Burkhardt, Beth Burkhardt, Roger Troxell, Rob Luke, Kevin Helm, and Hannes Buchinger

Drivers: Kirk Dohne (car owner), Pat Sharkitt, and me.
    Only because we spent 16 min. changing a left rear wheel bearing!!!

Seriously Greg, congrats to you and your team, nice job!!! I saw you w/ your car (ITA) on Fri. during the test day, and it was looking pretty good!!! I thought you were going to race it in the 12 hr, and was surprised when I didn't see it.

------------------
    SCCA 279608

I wanted to say what an incredible experience I had with Kirk's team! Even if we hadn’t won, I could still say that it was the highlight of my racing career due to having such great teammates. Kirk’s car was so well prepared and so easy to drive, even after an hour and a half driving it felt like I was in there for only ten (I am now a firm believer that my A1 needs a weight adjustment! ). The Hoosiers from Phil (philstireservice.com) were a fantastic tire! They handled just as well my first lap as they did on the last lap. After all I had heard about them I was shocked at their durability. We all were impressed that we could drive any line and they would still stick. They got me out of trouble several times!

I know I’m going to sound like a NASCAR interview, but I wanted to thank a bunch of people:

Crew chief Cameron Conover for doing an awesome prep job on the car, his calm demeanor and working with Bill Miller to pull off a 16 minute rear wheel bearing change (despite getting a face full of brake cleaner)!!

Bill Miller: Bill busted his butt like it was his own car. His help, his advice to me on driving Summit Point and his ability to give as well as he got, made him a great member of the team. (and being able to change wheel bearings while blinded with brake cleaner!!)

Manager Lee Grimes. Great organizational skills, great strategies and planning on the pit stops (NO penalties!!), great sense of humor (except while he was on the radio) and I only saw him leave the pit wall once! (not sure how he went to the bathroom??) Lee, I REALLY wanted to go for fastest “official” lap!!

Phil Phillips: I learned more about tires in two days than I had in my entire career. Great advice on driving the line, great sense of humor, easygoing nature and a great driver!

Greg Amy: Like a crack dealer, gave me a little taste and now has me addicted to this enduro stuff. Greg’s not afraid to slap me up side the head when needed and his racing knowledge is second to none (just ask him). He and Kirk worked very hard to put this team together. Oh yeah, he’s a pretty good driver too!

Kirk: I can’t express how much I appreciate to opportunity to drive with this team. EVERYTHING was done first class. There are pro race teams that don’t come close to the level of preparation that Kirk brought to this race. Sorry about the shopping cart ding…… (You can only dodge the out-of-control Miata’s so long before one of them is going to tag you!! ) Thanks again!

There were a lot of other people that helped to make this race a success and it’s nice to have that hard work pay off. I only hope I was half the teammate that everyone else was.

As Matt said (and yes, you had the coolest vehicle in the paddock with your pit bike!!) I was amazed at some of the “rough” driving I saw. However, the fastest cars were very patient (911s and BMWs).

------------------
    Jeff L
    #74 ITB GTi

[This message has been edited by JLawton (edited June 06, 2005).]

Thanks, Bill. The wet-weather practice on Friday was just what I needed to tune up for the beatiful, dry day that was Saturday. I was out there w/ my car to mainly do some brake testing as well as see if some of my VIR motor gremlins were still hanging around the engine bay (Thankfully they weren't).

My car would make for an EVIL endurance car. No fuel cell, a stock fuel system that starves on rt-handers w/ 3gal left in the tank (perfect for Summit ), and brakes that last barely long enough for a sprint race make for a poor endurance car. That and the fact that I can barely keep it on the track. I'd be afraid to send anybody else out in it.

My car would make for an EVIL endurance car. No fuel cell, a stock fuel system that starves on rt-handers w/ 3gal left in the tank (perfect for Summit ), and brakes that last barely long enough for a sprint race make for a poor endurance car. That and the fact that I can barely keep it on the track. I'd be afraid to send anybody else out in it.
    That sounds like the General Li (except for the fuel starvation issue). Brakes aren't a big deal, just use the car in front of you. As for keeping the car on the track, I hear that's mostly driver

Haz-Matt

Hats off to all that had a hand in making this race happen - workers, organizers, other racers & their teams. We should be feeling lucky we have the opportunity to go racing in this capacity (at least I do).

Dan, Kevin, Chris, Mary Ellen - you know who you are, couldn't have done it without you!

And thanks to all the drivers out there who made it a pleasure to be out there racing. To all of those who gave me a point or a blinker - if you didn't see a thumbs up at the time, consider it being given to you now. I think I speak for the other drivers on the team for this.

As a driver, I did not see any of the crashing & bashing others have commented on. If I made a move on you that you considered poor judgment, sorry, it wasn't intentional, so better speak up or I am likely to do it again.

Is it time for the next one yet?

Matt Miskoe
    Team CRS
    #23 ITS Miata.