Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel cell size

Default fuel cell size

I read in nother post that fuel cell size may vary from event to event. What is a common size in enduros in the North East?

we researched various supps a few years ago when we created the lrp 3 hr. we found the ones that had limits were usually 110% of stock. i think summit had no limit.

You'll have to check the supps, but I believe the limit at the 12 Hour at Summit Point is 22 gallons. If your cell is larger, you have to put some kind of ballast in it so that you can't put more than the specified amount of fuel in.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

BALLAST!!!!

Surely you ment "Spacer" to limit the capacity? Besides, the ballast would be in the wrong area!!

Good racing. Bill

Mercury

++ What is a common size in enduros in the North East? ++

For the DC Region 12 Hour, the on-board fuel capacity is 25 gallons.

Terry

I have been trying to find the answer for this since the Summit 12 hour so bear with me. I thought that we had discussed this here a while ago, I just can not find it.

Fuel limit is 25 gallons. Say a car has a 16 gallon capacity, can they legally install a seperate 7 gallon cell to reach 25 gallons (thus having two seperate fuel tanks)?

Made no difference to my team, just we saw this and could not find a GCR or Supps reference to a seperate cell to reach the fuel limit and really thought about how this could be legal.

thanks,

Chris

Chris, this should answer your question.

2004 GCR

17.12.1.Capacity

There shall be no restriction of fuel capacity or dimensions of the fuel cell, except where otherwise specified. The installation of more than one cell is permitted.

Roland
    ITA 16

...and "where otherwise specified" happens in the sups of pretty much every enduro. I think that the limit for the 13 hours at VIR is 20 gallons. The sups are online at the NCRSCCA site but I have to work.

K

Roland, We saw that, but the ITCS trumps the GCR right?
    "...ITCS 10.c the stock fuel tank may be replaced with A fuel cell. THE fuel cell shall be located....Additional reinforcement may be added to support THE fuel cell..." (emphasis added)

ITCS seems to reference one cell. Our take was the ITCS would have referenced the replacement of the stock tank with more than one fuel cell using plurals such as "...fuel cell(s)..." I now this seems like a minor language wording thing, but....Beside if the ITCS does not say you can, you can not, correct?

K, The supps for this enduro (12 hours at the point) only references size as I recall, I do not have them handy. I'll admit I know nothing about other enduros at this point.

Chris

I remember sometime ago reading that in the sups In think .,..for summit point 12hrs only one tank allowed and no overhead re- fueling rigs...

Chris you are absolutely right about the ITCS. The interesting part is the definition of Fuel Cell - A crash-resistant container for the on-board fuel supply of a car. Doesn't say how it is configured. Did they have the extra piece next to the orginal cell?

Roland
    ITA 16

We saw two fuel inlets while roaming the pits and then saw two seperate tanks during practice. Did not get a good look, but pretty sure one fuel inlet went to the stock tank and the other to the fuel cell mounted in the trunk.
    Again it made no difference to us and we had actually thought of this at one point but could find no justification.

Thanks

Chris

The stock fuel tank may be replaced with A fuel cell
    Note-it does not say stock tank must be removed.

I remember sometime ago reading that in the sups In think .,..for summit point 12hrs only one tank allowed and no overhead re- fueling rigs

You might want to donate to the Alzheimer Foundation, your memory regarding the number of tanks is incorrect.

For the DC Region 12 Hour, the on-board fuel capacity is 25 gallons.
    Terry

The Chief Steward for the event is a good source for rules clarification.

------------------
    "Bad" Al Bell
    ITC #3 Datsun 510
    DC Region MARRS Series

Oh and don't forget about this one...fuel cells shall located within 12" of the stock tank! mike g.

That's another rule that I would really like to see defined better.

Roland
    ITA 16

Originally posted by badal:
    The stock fuel tank may be replaced with A fuel cell
    Note-it does not say stock tank must be removed.
    Al, that one (to me anyway) seems a bit "strained". If the rule had said, "A fuel cell may be used" I would probably go along with you, but they said "replaced".

BTW, the supps for VIR say;
    7. FUEL CELL CAPACITY: Cars are limited to a
    total fuel capacity of 25 gallons.

"total fuel capacity", hmmmm... that certainly SOUNDS like you could use more than 1. Of course that assumes that the GCR and ITCS allow it, too.

EDIT: Added the "hmmmm..."
    ------------------
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 almost In-Garage
    1990 RX-7 Convertible In-Driveway

[This message has been edited by Mike Spencer (edited June 23, 2004).]

What does this mean? "Fuel tank capacity may not be larger than 110% of stock size listed in the car’s MVMA book"

Specifically, what is an MVMA book?

Thanks

I think they are referring to a data sheet that will give sizes as delivered from the factory. I would hope you could probably suffice with repair manual if it lists the tank size.

That 110% rule I have seen only at EMRA races, but makes sense.

I took the quote from the on-line supps for the NHIS 3-hour at the end of August. I take it there wasn't a cell size limit for the NER/NHIS enduro last year??

the fuel cell limit has been in the supps for the last 5 ner enduros

when we wrote the supps back then we researched other enduro supps and borrowed items such as this from those supps.
    dick patullo