As Kazoo (we're partners) mentioned, we built an '87 ITB Mustang from the ground up. Every, repeat, Every unneccessary item was eliminated, and we carefully selected the pieces that were to go on the car. It was a hatch, so there was about 50lb that could not be eliminated.

The cage was fabricated from scratch by a professional to our design, 8 points, well cross braced, with the rear bars attached to the SPRING purches, not the shock towers. We used an 8 gal cell, electric pump, and as much aluminum as we could to fabricate anything that was needed. It had a legal, complete dash, with the original heater box in the original position. Hoses too!!

To major items: T-5 transmissions are heavier than the earlier Cologne 4 speed boxes, and if you are very clever and resourceful, you can find a '79-'80 6 3/4 inch differential which is substantially lighter than the 7 1/2. Gears are problamatical as they come from the earlier application (Pinto), but solvable legally...machining of the gears is required. We ran with a 3.45. We know people using 3.73 in a 7 1/2, but I'd think the 4.10 is a bit high with a 1:1 fourth. Could be wrong, though.

13X6 inch wheels in steel, very light are available, and the tire sizes are compatible, and lighter also. They are also cheeper than 14 inch tires. Inexpensive 14X6 wheels were not available, so we went with the 13's. They do clear the larger legal brakes, incidentally. We had offset of 3 inches. Plenty of room around the brakes.

We were heading in the direction of the rear that I mentioned, and had already purchased the wheels when the opportunity to sell the car came along. It was done only because I couldn't race last year, and a new house was consuming all the time. An interested party approached me, and the deal was struck.

Don't think that a Mustang can't be built to the listed weight. We were about60-70 lb over, and the lighter rear and wheels were not on it yet. With a Hatch.

I'd be glad to offer information at [email protected]

Good racing.

Bill