Thread: VW Radiator in a Pinto.

Dick Elliott Guest

Default VW Radiator in a Pinto.

I,ve seen several postings on here about useing a VW radiator in a IT-B Pinto. Which radiator? Diesel? Gas? AC? Year? Mods necessary? Any help will be repayed with MGD at next race. Thanks Dick Elliott (Worlds oldest Pinto racer)

Your local parts guy will know. It's the one he sells the most of. There are variations, but the popular one works, and it's cheap (under $100).

You'll have to forgive me, but the Pinto was a long time ago... When we had an ITB Pinto 2.3liter, we used a VW Scirocco Radiator. It had an the expansion tank on the end with the cap on the top (as opposed to Rabbits/Golfs with remote tanks). You may want to explore either option, but I can tell you that it worked VERY well! If memory serves, the VW Radiator was a cool 10 lbs. lighter than OE, used less coolant, cooled better and was cheap. While Summit does supply Scirocco style radiators, a cheaper bet would be to find your local VW parts house, as many stock these things for about $80. Just make sure to get one that is Aluminum/Plastic (as that is where the weight savings is). The parts stores should have dimensions listed for the various radiators, so just take a look through to get the widest Scirocco version that will still fit the front of the Pinto. For what its worth, we used a radiator for an 86 Golf with a/c in our ITB Mustang with great success, just had to find somewhere to mount the VW Coolant Reservoir. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Kazoo (edited February 20, 2004).]